[SOLVED] Started computer today only have Black screen with mouse functionality, can browse and access files but desktop not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

takemeunder

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Today I started up my PC and was met with a desktop that won't load. I have Windows 10 and it's just a black screen with a cursor. Through task manager I can run almost any program and browser etc fine, but am unable to load desktop or anything corresponding with Desktop functionality. When trying to boot in safe mode it's still a black screen with the same functionality.

I can play video games - though they take time to load, and the internet works but desktop does not work.
Please give me any information you can, I would appreciate any help I can get, this couldn't possibly have come at a worse time.
Thank you

- Steven

THIS IS WHAT MY DESKTOP LOOKS LIKE: View: https://imgur.com/a/KX9uG7J

Here are my PC specifications:

CAS: CYBERPOWERPC X-Titan 200 Full Tower Gaming Case w/ USB 3.0, Fan Control, EZ Swap HDD Dock, Side Panel Window
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
CPU: Intel(R) Core™ i7-4790K 4.0 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150
FAN: DeepCool GAMMAXX 400 CPU Air Cooler 4 Heatpipes 120MM
HDD: 128GB SanDisk SSD + 2TB SATA III Hard Drive
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V3)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX w/ GIGABit LAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 1x M.2, 6x SATA 6GB/s
POWERSUPPLY: 850 Watts - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 GS 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb

takemeunder

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
I actually figured out the problem. Apparently explorer.exe doesn't run on Startup anymore. Why exactly thats the case since today I have no idea, but I'm currently trying to find a way to fix that.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try unplugging all peripherals at startup and see if you can get desktop. Its possible windows is waiting for a device to respond at startup and won't load desktop until its finished. UNplug everything except mouse/kb, even speakers.

I have had similar before, was a dying pair of speakers for me.

takemeunder

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Thanks for the help everyone, I was able to find the resolution here.
I believe this registry key only came to be after I installed the latest update? I had no issues prior to updating Windows 10 a couple days ago.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...-prompt/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-12161540

"I'm sorry for reviving this thread, but I found the ACTUAL solution to this problem, as opposed to just reinstalling Windows. Since this thread comes up near the top of Google results for this issue, I think it can actually help people.

The answer is to open the registry editor (press Start and type regedit) and check the registry location below for a key called 'Shell'. For people experiencing this problem the key is there and it has a value of %comspec%. For people with healthy systems, that key isn't there. So simply delete the key and reboot!
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

There is also a 'Shell' key in the registry location below, and that one SHOULD be there, and its values SHOULD be explorer.exe.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

I hope this helps someone some day, and saves them the headache of having to reinstall/reset/refresh Windows."

For some strange reason I had the %comspec% under my user and it prevented explorer.exe from launching on startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS