4x4GB 2666Mhz VengLPX
Corsair H80i ASUS x99-AII
MSI GTX 1080 X
EVGA 850w Supernova G3
Samsung EVO 850 250gb
Windows 10 64bit
Corsair Obsidian 750D Case

Hi

I live in the UK and we have just finished having a one week heat wave. Its cooled down now and just one week after the heat wave my GPU has started making the worst coil whine i have ever had from a GPU. I have contacted Scan Ltd (the retailer i bought it from) for a RMA, this is the second time i have had to RMA it as last time the fans failed, and Scan has setup an RMA request and DPD will be here in a day or so to pick it up.

Why has this suddenly started happening? Some people i have talked to in the past say that a cheap PSU can cause it but mine its a very good quality PSU. I have also heard that high end GPU''s are cheaply made so coil whine has become more prominent. Will we be cursed with coil whining GPU's every new GPU generation.

Solution

That's not bad at all. I have 2 GTX 980ti's and my ambient temperature (while gaming) goes up to 27C. Also, make sure you check what "Tentacle" is saying because i use MSI aferburner and I have a custom fan profile and if you set the fans on high they will be running like that 24/7 and will eventually fail.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
QUOTE: I have also heard that high end GPU''s are cheaply made?'''''

I haven't heard (lately) of any high end GPU's been poorly made. You are probably having some other problem. That specific model from MSI is really reliable and the fans (for that model) are pretty good quality. Can you list the specs of your PSU and how old is it?

Well this is what i can find spec wise for the PSU:
https://www.evga.com/Products/Specs/PSU.aspx?pn=4FCC968A-35BE-4F7C-BE05-807E9A819A9B

Do you really think its the PSU?

The fans on my card are really loud at the moment while i'm playing dying light at default high settings (1440p 99% usage 100-144fps)
The only other demanding game i play is Fallout 4 (I cap it at 60fps thou due to the engine) and the card is still hot, whining and loud.

My GPU is hitting the 79C range, my first GTX 1080 before the fans died was playing at 60C constant. Something has to be up with this card

You have a top tier PSU (EVGA G3 series) so that's likely not your coil whine problem. I have read reports of 1080 coil whine from several different GPU vendors including MSI and EVGA. Some say to use Vsync to take the load off. But if you have a Gsync monitor, that defeats the purpose.

What is the fan % speed of your GPU fans under load? Also, do you have a custom fan profile set in MSI Afterburner.

I don't fiddle with afterburner settings i just use it to show my fps and temps in a game when i need to. I didn't even know you could set a fan curve in afterburner.

I'm playing Dying Light and a while ago my Dad popped his head in to ask what the buzzing noise was. He's not super tech savy but even he knew that sound didn't sound healthy. I think the heatwave may of done something to the card. As i don't understand how it use to be a constant 60C 40-50% fan speed no matter what and now fans are 60-70% speed because the GPU is way hotter staying at 79C under load.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

That's not bad at all. I have 2 GTX 980ti's and my ambient temperature (while gaming) goes up to 27C. Also, make sure you check what "Tentacle" is saying because i use MSI aferburner and I have a custom fan profile and if you set the fans on high they will be running like that 24/7 and will eventually fail.

Solution