[SOLVED] Starting a new build

Aug 21, 2019
Greetings. I came here 10 years ago to do my first build and received wonderful help.
I am starting a new build and I have a question for the assembled wisdom of the PSU board.
I plan on buying this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079H6111...colid=36JKDRDBNEAW9&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
It is a 650 watt Corsair modular power supply.
It comes with a (2018) distinction at the end of the description.
Last time I bought more power than I needed and it held me in good stead. The power supply is still chugging along after 10 years.
The CPU I plan to use is 95 watts (Ryzen 5 2600x)
The GPU I plan to use is 150 watts (Radeon r570) but I suspect I will upgrade in the future.

Please let me know if I am underpowering or if the 2018 distinction is meaningful.

I truly appreciate the help.

(the 550w and the 650w are currently the same price at amazon)

Solution
Greetings. I came here 10 years ago to do my first build and received wonderful help.
I am starting a new build and I have a question for the assembled wisdom of the PSU board.
I plan on buying this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079H6111...colid=36JKDRDBNEAW9&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
Last time I bought more power than I needed and it held me in good stead. The power supply is still chugging along after 10 years.
The GPU I plan to use is 150 watts (Radeon r570) but I suspect I will upgrade in the future.

Please let me know if I am underpowering...
I plan on buying this:

Please let me know if I am underpowering or if the 2018 distinction is meaningful.

I truly appreciate the help.

(the 550w and the 650w are currently the same price at amazon)
"2018" is the year Corsair migrated the RMx from an in-house design to a modified CWT "GPU" platform.

The GPU is more power dense (20mm smaller depth) and cheaper to build than the original Corsair platform.

Either platform is solid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dondoh60
Solution

SierraArgo

Reputable
May 25, 2017
Honestly, this seems like a pretty solid configuration to me, especially with the sales on Ryzen 2's you can get now Ryzen 3 has dropped. I run a Corsair 650 watt PSU (cs650m) with a 1600x and GTX 1080 both overclocked and it runs like a champ, so I can definitely recommend it.

Reactions: Dondoh60