[SOLVED] Starting build ideas for programming/gaming pc

klemmaniac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I would like to build a new PC for coding/programming (mostly web design, maybe mobile with react-native) with the capability of doing some gaming on it. My primary goal is to build a PC with fast compile/processing times for programming web JavaScript/Node projects, but would be nice to be able to game on it as well.

Budget: Max ~$1,000 - but as cheap as possible while still getting the job done.

I have a PC I built years ago and I would like to re-use parts if possible, but am asking here for advice on whether they fit in with the overall new build and are compatible, would cause bottlenecks etc.

Old Parts I would like to re-use if possible:
NEW PARTS FOR NEW BUILD:

Video Card:

I know I'm screwed on the video card price wise, so any suggestions on something that's "good enough"? I'm look at the following:
- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VHWFWSD/?coliid=I3D63NMHQJM39P&colid=3B1EEU6CAW7ZC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GL4YJK...olid=3B1EEU6CAW7ZC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Could use more suggestions in that department. I don't care if I can't play any game at highest settings - just looking for most games at good settings generally and reasonable video editing processing time (light editing, cutting sections, converting mov to mp4 etc., nothing too heavy).

Motherboard:
Looking at these right now, but open to suggestions given the goal of the build and compatibility considerations:
I am being budget conscious on the board but open to suggestions. I'd prefer not to overclock anything.

CPU:
I'm planning on sticking with an AMD cpu, but am open to Intel if there are compelling reasons for using them (I listed one intel board above I was looking at, the other two are ofc AMD boards). I do not plan on overclocking the cpu

RAM:
I haven't vetted compatibility thoroughly, but was looking at this for 16GB:
- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TRRT1...olid=3B1EEU6CAW7ZC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Just looking for opinions on these components, other suggestions and if a build with these would be a good programming/coding and possible gaming machine. Also looking for any errors in compatibility (I know I'll need an Intel board if getting a intel cpu).

Last edited:
Solution
I would like to build a new PC for coding/programming (mostly web design, maybe mobile with react-native) with the capability of doing some gaming on it. My primary goal is to build a PC with fast compile/processing times for programming web JavaScript/Node projects, but would be nice to be able to game on it as well.

Budget: Max ~$1,000 - but as cheap as possible while still getting the job done.

I have a PC I built years ago and I would like to re-use parts if possible, but am asking here for advice on whether they fit in with the overall new build and are compatible, would cause bottlenecks etc.

• Current power supply: corsair VX550:...

NEW PARTS FOR NEW BUILD:

Video Card:

I know I'm screwed on the video card price wise, so any suggestions on something that's "good enough"? I'm look at the following:
- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VHWFWSD/?coliid=I3D63NMHQJM39P&colid=3B1EEU6CAW7ZC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GL4YJK...olid=3B1EEU6CAW7ZC&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Could use more suggestions in that department. I don't care if I can't play any game at highest settings - just looking for most games at good settings generally and reasonable video editing processing time (light editing, cutting sections, converting mov to mp4 etc., nothing too heavy).

Motherboard:
Looking at these right now, but open to suggestions given the goal of the build and compatibility considerations:
I am being budget conscious on the board but open to suggestions. I'd prefer not to overclock anything.

CPU:
I'm planning on sticking with an AMD cpu, but am open to Intel if there are compelling reasons for using them (I listed one intel board above I was looking at, the other two are ofc AMD boards). I do not plan on overclocking the cpu

RAM:
- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083TRRT1...olid=3B1EEU6CAW7ZC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Just looking for opinions on these components, other suggestions and if a build with these would be a good programming/coding and possible gaming machine. Also looking for any errors in compatibility (I know I'll need an Intel board if getting a intel cpu).
Ok, I'll address a few things for you.
  • The power supply is ancient and is the first thing I'd replace. No question about it. Overprovision to the extent your budget allows, without going overkill, on a new, reliable and proven unit. The Corsair CX series comes to mind for good cost/performance on a budget.
  • The case has lots of external drives that are not good for airflow. Look for a budget mATX tower with just a single DVD bay, if you really need the drive. In a pinch you may be able to reuse your case but it's certainly not optimal.
  • The Ryzen 5 3600 is a pretty good choice for your budget. Right now the price is too high from what I'm seeing on pcpartpicker website ($288). It should sell for around $200USD. I'd forget about the other Ryzens with onboard graphics.
  • The Crucial memory is probably fine but I'd get 3600 CL16 myself.
  • If you're going for a GTX 1650 get the 'super' model (if budget allows). I'm using one and it works pretty well at 1080p.
  • Invest in a new NVME drive for the OS and programs. You already have the external drive to use for bulk storage/backups.
  • It may be difficult to stay on budget considering what you actually need. The video card price is what will kill the budget. The GTX 1650 Super is a $180 USD card in normal times. Right now they're around $500...ouch. You may have to settle for less, like a 1050 ti maybe.

Last edited:
Reactions: klemmaniac
Solution

klemmaniac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Ok, I'll address a few things for you.
  • The power supply is ancient and is the first thing I'd replace. No question about it. Overprovision to the extent your budget allows, without going overkill, on a new, reliable and proven unit. The Corsair CX series comes to mind for good cost/performance on a budget.
  • The case has lots of external drives that are not good for airflow. Look for a budget mATX tower with just a single DVD bay, if you really need the drive. In a pinch you may be able to reuse your case but it's certainly not optimal.
  • The Ryzen 5 3600 is a pretty good choice for your budget. Right now the price is too high from what I'm seeing on pcpartpicker website ($288). It should sell for around $200USD. I'd forget about the other Ryzens with onboard graphics.
  • The Crucial memory is probably fine but I'd get 3600 CL16 myself.
  • If you're going for a GTX 1650 get the 'super' model (if budget allows). I'm using one and it works pretty well at 1080p.
  • Invest in a new NVME drive for the OS and programs. You already have the external drive to use for bulk storage/backups.
  • It may be difficult to stay on budget considering what you actually need. The video card price is what will kill the budget. The GTX 1650 Super is a $180 USD card in normal times. Right now they're around $500...ouch. You may have to settle for less, like a 1050 ti maybe.

Thank you - those are exactly the kind of suggestions I was looking for. I personally am not willing to spend $500 on a video card as gaming is a secondary "nice to have" capability for the new build I want to make. Good notes on the power supply. I'm thinking I'll stick with the Samsung EVO SSD drive I have for now. Essentially I'm still operating on a AMD personal computer build I built about 10 years ago (which is remarkably still solid, though a little slow for developing). I think if I build something in the "good enough" category I'll be satisfied. As it stands on PC Part Picker I'm looking at around $8-900 including the power supply now.

I might be able to bring the cost down by really looking for a previous generation CPU that is still good. I think I'll settle on a 1050 ti for the video card. If you or anyone else has a chance to look at the part picker list I made and let me know how things look I'd appreciate it - thanks again for the suggestions.

PART PICKER LIST:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/klemmaniac/saved/BPjTYJ

Last edited:
I think I would look at the I5-11400.
Here is a review:
It generally does a bit better than the 3600.

If you buy the non f version, probably $20 more, you will get decent integrated graphics that is good for all except fast action gaming.
That lets you opt for a good discrete gaming card later when prices get back to normal.

NEW PARTS FOR NEW BUILD:

Video Card:

Motherboard:

CPU:

RAM:

Just to muddy the water.
Toss a 5600g into the mix and skip the gpu.
The gpu alone is going to kill your budget.

Thank you - those are exactly the kind of suggestions I was looking for. I personally am not willing to spend $500 on a video card as gaming is a secondary "nice to have" capability for the new build I want to make. Good notes on the power supply. I'm thinking I'll stick with the Samsung EVO SSD drive I have for now. Essentially I'm still operating on a AMD personal computer build I built about 10 years ago (which is remarkably still solid, though a little slow for developing). I think if I build something in the "good enough" category I'll be satisfied. As it stands on PC Part Picker I'm looking at around $8-900 including the power supply now.

I might be able to bring the cost down by really looking for a previous generation CPU that is still good. I think I'll settle on a 1050 ti for the video card. If you or anyone else has a chance to look at the part picker list I made and let me know how things look I'd appreciate it - thanks again for the suggestions.

PART PICKER LIST:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FRXkxc
I would not pay the asking price for the 3600. It's very inflated. You should be able to get it for around $200 by waiting a bit and looking around. The intel i5-11400 would be a better buy right now and work really well, as suggested by @geofelt. The case you picked should do much better with airflow than your old one. With a new motherboard you'll need to format your used EVO and reinstall everything. It's a pain but pretty much a necessity with this big of an overhaul.

klemmaniac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I would not pay the asking price for the 3600. It's very inflated. You should be able to get it for around $200 by waiting a bit and looking around. The intel i5-11400 would be a better buy right now and work really well, as suggested by @geofelt. The case you picked should do much better with airflow than your old one. With a new motherboard you'll need to format your used EVO and reinstall everything. It's a pain but pretty much a necessity with this big of an overhaul.

Thanks - I was going ask about transferring the EVO to a new build and you covered it. I guess with the intel chip I would need a different MOBO right? I did have an Intel board I found which I listed in the first post - maybe that will work fine.

I'm in no rush to build though so maybe I should just wait until prices come down -- of course I don't see that happening anytime soon - for all we know prices will continue to go up from here!

klemmaniac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I think I would look at the I5-11400.
Here is a review:
It generally does a bit better than the 3600.

If you buy the non f version, probably $20 more, you will get decent integrated graphics that is good for all except fast action gaming.
That lets you opt for a good discrete gaming card later when prices get back to normal.

Dang looks like that intel processor is just as expensive as the AMD - I saw a review that it used to be $175. Now it's looking like it's about $290

klemmaniac

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
The prices are fluctuating as stock comes and goes. Other than that, CPU prices have been far more stable than GPU prices. Keep a close eye on them and be ready to buy when the time is right.

I hope that time will come. It seems like there is massive disruption and 2nd and 3rd order effects from the pandemic that may be with us for some time to come. I'm assuming at least some of the reason for all these price increases is a shortage of labor and production supply chain issues.