[SOLVED] Starting fresh with DDR4 RAM

frapport

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Thinking about new machine, purchased a couple of 43" 4K smart TV's and running them on 4790/32 GB DDR3, 980ti, Win7Pro which is now getting long in the tooth.
Upgrading to DDR4 RAM makes a new motherboard necessary, want to go to 64 GB, a board mounted 1 TB boot drive, a graphics card that'll do 4K stuff for under $1K. I often keep a couple of different browsers open with 50+ tabs, some light 3D and rendering as well as playing Path of Exile far too much.
I'd like some advice on the current state of the art with regard to these unfamiliar CPU's of the new generation, motherboards and options available, as well as just standing pat for another year or so.

I did a partpicker and noted two warnings about compatibility. Of course this was my currently underinformed attempt and I look forward to either saving money, getting more power or pointers about what to look at.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7fxj3t

Solution
Those warnings don't seem to be anything particularly important, just letting you know that when the NVMe drive is installed, one of the motherboard's six SATA drive ports will be disabled, and that they aren't checking for compatibility of things like RAM height potentially interfering with a large CPU cooler.

I would change some things though. Namely, Nvidia already announced a new generation of graphics cards that will go on sale in the coming weeks. An RTX 3070 should be faster than a 2080 SUPER, and will likely perform more like a 2080 Ti, but for as little as $500. And the RTX 3080 should be priced similar to the 2080 SUPER, but should be over 50% faster, at least going by their performance claims. The only potential issue...
Those warnings don't seem to be anything particularly important, just letting you know that when the NVMe drive is installed, one of the motherboard's six SATA drive ports will be disabled, and that they aren't checking for compatibility of things like RAM height potentially interfering with a large CPU cooler.

I would change some things though. Namely, Nvidia already announced a new generation of graphics cards that will go on sale in the coming weeks. An RTX 3070 should be faster than a 2080 SUPER, and will likely perform more like a 2080 Ti, but for as little as $500. And the RTX 3080 should be priced similar to the 2080 SUPER, but should be over 50% faster, at least going by their performance claims. The only potential issue might be that those cards will likely be in very short supply for the initial months following their launch, so it might be hard to get one near those prices right away.

Also, I'm not sure 64GB of RAM is necessary at this time, unless you have some specific need for it. Practically all current games don't actually require more than 16GB currently. Even with multitasking while gaming, I have some doubts that 32GB would likely be a limitation for a number of years to come.

Reactions: frapport
Solution

frapport

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015

Edit: looking at my profile pic not cyroburner's.

I got a dual Xeon for the pci-e lane capacity.

So, the new motherboard will probably be changed for a higher capacity chip set for further expansion. I also invested in a big case on my last upgrade with ample space for radiators if things had progressed farther that way.

I would change some things though. Namely, Nvidia already announced a new generation of graphics cards that will go on sale in the coming weeks. An RTX 3070 should be faster than a 2080 SUPER, and will likely perform more like a 2080 Ti, but for as little as $500. And the RTX 3080 should be priced similar to the 2080 SUPER, but should be over 50% faster, at least going by their performance claims. The only potential issue might be that those cards will likely be in very short supply for the initial months following their launch, so it might be hard to get one near those prices right away.

The nice thing here is that I'm not in a rush and the jump in generations should actually give me a tangible boost over my present system. That's one of the things I needed a knowledge upgrade for. Who's doing the best bang for the buck these days and so on.

Also, I'm not sure 64GB of RAM is necessary at this time, unless you have some specific need for it. Practically all current games don't actually require more than 16GB currently. Even with multitasking while gaming, I have some doubts that 32GB would likely be a limitation for a number of years to come.

I learned RAM back in Win95 days when I cleverly added 8 MB to the Pentium box for a total of 16 MB's. Years later I figured out that Win95 ran like a dream in 64 MB. Currently I run 32 GB with very little left over because I like to leave things open and flow between them.