StartService failed (1069) after configuring service using..

Hello,

I would like to configure a service to log on a specif Account and Password
by using sc.exe from Windows 2000 resource Kit.
The account and password exists on my win 2000 server.
I start the service by using: sc.exe start serviceName and I receive the
following message:

"[SC] StartService FAILED, rc = 1069"
"The service did not start due to a logon failure."

I work for 2 days on this problem and now I don't have any more idee to
resolve this problem.

WorkArround:
==========
The only way I have found to resolve the problem is to use the Service
administrative tools to logon the service
with my specific Account and password. Then the command line sc.exe config
serviceName obj= AccountName password= xxxx work fine.

Steps to duplicate:
============
1: I configure a new users by using the "Users and Passwords" tools: (User
Name: User1, password: abcd)
2: I register my service. regsvr32.exe c:\temp\myService.dll
=> dllregisterServer in myService.dll succeeded

3: I install my service: c:\temp\myService.exe -i
4: I configure my service to logon my user just created: sc.exe config
myService obj= .\User1 password= abcd
=> [SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS
5: I start myService: sc.exe start myService
=> [SC] StartService FAILED, rc = 1069

6: I open the Service administrative tools: In the properties of myService
under Tab [log on] I enter manually the AccountName
and password and I perss the bouton apply.
7: Now I can start myService.

I can also uninstall myService and reinstall by following the point 2 to 5
and I have no more problem.
The problem occurs until I enter one time and manually the accountName and
password through the Service administrative tools.
The Service administrative tools is not a solution because I would like to
install my service by using an installShield without human ressources.

I hope anybody can help me
Thank you very much in advance

Luc

Hello,

Verify if a user/password is configured for this service. You can use the
microsoft service manager or a tool like Ideal Administration (
http://www.pointdev.com) to view and change the logon service
configuration. Perhaps a bad user/password is configured for this service
and this doesn't allow the service to start properly.

"PharmLMA" <lmtemp@bluemail.ch> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> I would like to configure a service to log on a specif Account and
> Password by using sc.exe from Windows 2000 resource Kit.
> The account and password exists on my win 2000 server.
> I start the service by using: sc.exe start serviceName and I receive
> the following message:
>
> "[SC] StartService FAILED, rc = 1069"
> "The service did not start due to a logon failure."
>
> I work for 2 days on this problem and now I don't have any more idee
> to resolve this problem.
>
> WorkArround:
> ==========
> The only way I have found to resolve the problem is to use the Service
> administrative tools to logon the service
> with my specific Account and password. Then the command line sc.exe
> config serviceName obj= AccountName password= xxxx work fine.
>
> Steps to duplicate:
> ============
> 1: I configure a new users by using the "Users and Passwords" tools:
> (User Name: User1, password: abcd)
> 2: I register my service. regsvr32.exe c:\temp\myService.dll
> => dllregisterServer in myService.dll succeeded
>
> 3: I install my service: c:\temp\myService.exe -i
> 4: I configure my service to logon my user just created: sc.exe config
> myService obj= .\User1 password= abcd
> => [SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS
> 5: I start myService: sc.exe start myService
> => [SC] StartService FAILED, rc = 1069
>
> 6: I open the Service administrative tools: In the properties of
> myService under Tab [log on] I enter manually the AccountName
> and password and I perss the bouton apply.
> 7: Now I can start myService.
>
> I can also uninstall myService and reinstall by following the point 2
> to 5 and I have no more problem.
> The problem occurs until I enter one time and manually the accountName
> and password through the Service administrative tools.
> The Service administrative tools is not a solution because I would
> like to install my service by using an installShield without human
> ressources.
>
> I hope anybody can help me
> Thank you very much in advance
>
> Luc

nikjabin

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
This is an old post. Not having found any answers in web searches I did stumble on a solution through trial and error. It looks like the password gets filled out to 16 characters though the check with the domain uses the password given. Quotes were needed around the password. This was on a server2008 machine. So the command is

sc config ServiceName obj= username password= "A16PlusCharacterPassword"