Question Startup and restart issues on new build ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2023
Hello,

I have built a brand new AM5 full AMD PC back in early February, and it keep having this issue, I have to power cycle randomly for it to start, it does not have a pattern, sometimes it does it from cold start, sometimes on restart, sometimes it does not do it, I have read and read and read and tried many things but nothing so far, I even changed the RAM , but to no avail, please help .

The build is made of:
MB: MSI PRO B650-P WIFI (Bios verison = 7D77v181)
CPU: Ryzen 7600X
PSU: ROG-STRIX-850G-WHITE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36 Dual Channel Kit ID: F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5NR

GPU:6900 XT sapphire Toxic(not relevant, no issues with GPU)
RAD: NZXT kraken 63( not relevant)

What could be the issue, what do you suggest I should do ? I plan to upgrade to 7800x3d, but with this issue, could be from MB.... I don't want to do it not knowing.

Things I read/tried:

• Buldozoid said fast boot could affect memory training and we should disable it for OC ram -> my MB BIOS does not have such an option.
  • I have tried to enable/disable Memory context restore -> not doing anything.
  • Returned RAM kit(thought faulty) -> not the case
  • Mem tested RAM at 6000 CL36 for 4 hours~ 0 errors
  • Manual timing AND expo timings(6000 cl 36), both cases have the issue

I'm tired of power cycling the PC all the time to make it boot....
I just want it to run on 6000mhz cl 36, stock CPU stable, no issues, is it too much to ask, serious question, too much for this build/platform ?

Please help
Phased

Last edited:
Hey there,

You are on a new platform, so you have to expect some teething problems.

What bios are you running? Is the most up to date? bios updates can bring a lot of goodness, specially so on Ryzen systems. It can solve issues with GPUs/Mem compatibility/CPU performance enhancements or security.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
Apr 22, 2023
Hello, thank you both for the replies.

@Fix_that_Glitch , I think I have single rank, I have G.Skill
F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5NR
2x16gb 6000mz CL36

@Roland Of Gilead , I have updated yesterday to the latest version of BIOS, issue still present

Also, my MB is present on G.skill website QVL list, so I guess they are 100% compatible

Apr 22, 2023
So the behaviour is as follows:

Today I started the PC, no boot, EZ-Debugg led stuck on "DRAMM"

I have forced shutdown by pressing the power button, and after 2 seconds I started it again, worked..

I restarted the PC via the restart button, no more boot, debugg led stuck on DRAMM, force shutdown, wait 2 seconds, turn on, works.

Rinse and repeat.

Amd expo enabled 6000 cl 36 2000IF, no other tweaking.

driving me nuts, what could be bad, CPU? MB? RAM?

So the behaviour is as follows:

Today I started the PC, no boot, EZ-Debugg led stuck on "DRAMM"

I have forced shutdown by pressing the power button, and after 2 seconds I started it again, worked..

I restarted the PC via the restart button, no more boot, debugg led stuck on DRAMM, force shutdown, wait 2 seconds, turn on, works.

Rinse and repeat.

Amd expo enabled 6000 cl 36 2000IF, no other tweaking.

driving me nuts, what could be bad, CPU? MB? RAM?
Just for yuks.
What happens if you use just one stick of ram in the proper slot?

Apr 22, 2023
Update:

I have tried with only 1 stick of RAM, tried with both, only 1 in slot 2(first recommanded), same issues for both single-sticks, so this does not confirm anything but that RAM MIGHT NOT be the culprit, but still a probability.

with RAM on JEDEC which is 4800 CL 40-40-40 this issue is not present, but that's 100% unacceptable since EXPO should be 1 click safe solution with this config.

Fun but not so fun update, while doing this I think my PC somehow broke the monitor DP port..., it only works on HDMI now, tried 3 cables, GPU/MB port, and the cables on other monitors, clearly the monitor DP port is broken.... fun times.

Since I built this PC in February only issues after issues, I think I understand why people are avoiding AMD, I had a i5-9600k and GTX1080 for 5 years, 0 issues in the span of 60 months, took that for granted.

Apr 22, 2023
I have tried with 5600 cl 36-36-36 still same issue, I found out anything but JEDEC, 4800 cl 40-40-40, does not work.

Apr 22, 2023
Coming back, there is no XMP option, only EXPO, there are 2 slots but only 1 profile, applying the profile 1(first button) applies the RAM expo profile(as intended),
6000mhz CL36-36-36-96.

I have made a ticket with the vendor I bought all system pieces from(same for all), and explained the situation, they made me benchmark everything, including the GPU and SSD :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

The fun part is, they declared(seeing my benchmarks) that everything is ok and AMD EXPO is not included into warranty, and is not guaranteed it will run at expo profile, even though MB supports it, CPU supports it, and RAM is expo certified....

FUN TIMES, getting hyped for AMD, researching for months, wanting to support the innovating/underdog side, getting hit by the truck. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.