Startup delay after login screen.....Blank Screen with cursor

chintandhandha

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Hi..its been less than a month that i have installed my Win7 64 bit Ultimate. Now the problem i face is like this. Everything shows up fine until the welcome screen after that it normally used to fade to the desktop but now it goes blank. The screen in Black with only the mouse pointer. Its not hung, i can move the mouse pointer. Then after a minute or so it advances to the desktop. Everything on the desktop loads up in less than 5s. The PC runs fine, it is really fast as there are only a few programs, but only boots slow. My total boot time is about 3-5 min. I think it should be like in a minute or so.
I have not tweaked much with the system but have installed a few programs like MS office, Nero, Acrobat and Photoshop. These are the only heavy programs in the PC right now. The only games on the PC are AC1 and AC2. I have uninstalled my graphic driver and reinstalled. I already minimized the programs in the msconfig>startup to the minimum. I have run ccleaner, spybot s&d, Antimalware and i also have a trial copy of Kaspersky AV (upgrading later to 1-year license). there are no peripherals attached during boot except the USB keyboard and mouse. A printer is attached too but is most of the time turned off.

I don't know what is causing this problem because its only been a few days since the OS was installed. It was running fine then and i did not have any problems.

Any help would be appreciated.......

rushajack

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011

Same issue here. Been trying Google suggestions all day.

I was running Windows 7 32 bit for several months with no problem. I had re-installed the 32 bit several months ago to fix an InfoPath problem but its been good ever since. Until yesterday morning my InfoPath problem came back and I figured I'd just move to 64 bit.

I installed several applications and finally joined the domain. When I rebooted after joining the Domain (Windows 2003) I got the BSOL - Black Screen of Limbo (black screen, mouse works but nothing else).

Doing a restore brings it back but after every reboot it goes to BSOL.

I've tried scores of suggestions and now I'm just doing the restore with my HP disk back to 32 bit and all the HP junk.

This problem popped up on 3 of our other machines yesterday as well. My guys got them going again but I'm guessing those users will have problems after a reboot.

-lukin-

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Sounds like a service or network connection in startup is causing it to hang. Check event viewer and see if there are any notices there. Do you have any mapped drives or network resources that may be attaching at startup? If you are joined to a domain, any number of things from DNS to logon scripts and group policy could cause this as well.

rushajack

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Lukin,

Your suggestion sounds pretty good. We do have 3 startup scripts and actually got an error related to one of them. We turned them off.

I have an update to our problem - One of our Production Servers (2008) is now getting the Black Screen of Death.

We've got a case open with MS and we are sitting in the office waiting for help.

chintandhandha

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Alright guys,
Sorry for my long silence, i have been searching for answers elsewhere. To anyone who experiences this problem. Do this first
Start>Run>msconfig>boot>enable boot log.
Restart and goto C:\windows\ntbtlog.txt
Check for any drivers which were unable to load.
Try updating the ones which are not being loaded.
NOTE: Don't bother with the NDProxy.sys being not loaded cuz it is just a proxy driver and since you do not have any server it might be unable to load.
Alright after little digging i found out that my antivirus was causing this delay because it was in the last 10 days of my trial period, I uninstalled it, run malwarebytes and then reinstalled it with the my 1-yr lisence and then checked for the delay, it was gone. I dont know why but it was creating some problems in the trial period and little more digging, i find out that the blacklist was corrupted.
OK so now i reboot and see that the boot time is less than 1min. Also not to forget my network and VGA drivers were out of date and surely updating them helped improve the boot speed

chintandhandha

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
P.S. If anyone is facing this problem or anything of such sort, I highly recommend to TRY THIS FIRST:
1) Uninstall your AV
2) Download and install Microsoft Security Essentials from
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

In the meanwhile when my AV was uninstalled, i had this and it quiet nicely does the job, maybe not that efficient but IT IS FREE.
This package includes AV, Anti-Spyware and Anti-Malware. Keep this along with Windows firewall and Defender enabled and there is a minimum chance of running into any problem (since this is from microsoft).

delaywin7

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
How do I update individual driver? I have:

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\mfeavfk.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\srv.sys

Thanks,
Andy

pateldevang035

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
hey chintan,
i saw that ntblog.txt and it is full of drivers which are not able to load :(
and i'm not able to understand that for which device they are can any software help me in updating them automatically,
and will windows update help me ?

k2sk8er1244

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012

I have the vga.sys and the srv.sys as well, ignoring the (4) NDproxy.sys

pjkx

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hi,
I had the same problem on 2 computers (Win7 32 bit).
As Lukin suggested, I looked into the network problem.
I had network drives assigned to a NAS that is not always available ---
apparently the system tries to connect to them upon startup.
I deleted the drive associations, and now both computers start as they are supposed to.
Thanks!

Aromil

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Hi guys, I have an HP Pavilion dv6 7000 Select Edition Entertainment Notebook PC with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I have a 750 GB hard drive, 8 GB RAM, and an i5 3210 processor, 2.5 gHz. I've been having the same problem with the blank screen after I log in for a minute or so. I enabled boot log and checked the ntbtlog file, and a TON of them say Drivers unable to Load. Also, I can't access startup repair when I try to. It gives me an error that says "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the case. To fix the problem, [3 things to do that I can't do because I don't have a recovery disc]. The file that is shown is \Boot\BCD. The error code accompanying this file is 0xc0000225. Then it says "An error occurred when attempting to read the boot configuration data." My laptop came with a recovery partition, which I have used before to do a factory reset on my laptop. I can do this either by accessing Recovery Manager while logged in, or tapping the F11 key during startup. But ever since the blank screen started, Recovery Manager won't let me choose the option of doing a factory reset. When tapping the F11 key during startup, I go to the same message I got when doing startup repair/repair your computer. Please help! I need this laptop for college, and can't buy a new laptop. Also, the slowness during startup is stressing me out. Thanks in advance!

Aromil

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Hi, can you please elaborate on the process you used to do this? I would really like to try it to see if it fixes my problem. Thanks!

SWEB

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013

zektwin

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Charlie tunia

Honorable
Aug 29, 2013
Hotfixes for faster Windows 7/8 boot/startup
Extremely Slow Boot of Windows 7/8
Long black screen delay after "Welcome!"

This hotfix rollup contains 90 hotfixes that were released after the release of SP1 for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. These hotfixes improve the overall performance and system reliability of Windows 7 SP1-based and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1-based computers.

Use Internet Explorer
Follow instructions on page
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2775511/en-us#appliesto

Applies to
Windows 7 Service Pack 1, when used with:

Windows 7 Enterprise
Windows 7 Home Basic
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Starter
Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, when used with:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-Based Systems
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard
Windows Web Server 2008 R2
Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation

vGandalf

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
If anyone else have googled this and come across this post, in my case my PC was trying to connect to a NAS that was offline. I simply removed the NAS as a network drive in my computer.

IJACKI

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014

Lol we both have the same name but any way my screen went black with moveable cursor and if I click cnrtl although dlt it brings up task manger and that's it. After installing another type of antivirus of of the website media fire called Norton I went to install it and my other antivirus runner witch is avg said it had a virus so ingnored and then I had to turn off my laptop turned it back on then the problems happens so I was wondering if u know thanks bye