[SOLVED] Startup is a gamble

Mike-G

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right tag/sub forum for this as I have never posted here before.

I built my PC in January 2019 and it has undergo many upgrades since then but I have the same issue from time to time. The PC gets stuck on the black screen with the spinning dots and will not boot even after multiple hard power downs.
I am unable to replicate the issue as it comes and goes as it pleases. Sometimes I can't start my PC for 7 days in a row and other times I don't encounter the issue for months...
The only remedy for this is to unplug all USB ports and then it boots just fine. Is this a common motherboard issue with the ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming?

specs: Ryzen 7 2700x, Asus Rog Strix X470-F gaming, Corsair RM 850x(should be more than enough right?), 2x8gb hyperx something, ASUS TUF 3070, WD Black M.2 NVME 1tb, 3 Corsair LL120s, 3 Corsair LL 140s, Corsair Commander Pro, Noctua NH-D15 AM4, I've got an old ssd and hdd plugged in but never used, Corsair Dark Core wireless mouse, MM1000 qi mousepad, and a corsair k95 platinum keyboard.

Long list of peripherals but I'm thinking it's either my mobo or my psu is shot.
HOWEVER, I have had this issue since day 1 even with old and less power demanding components and less peripherals/fans.
Original parts are cpu, cpu cooler, mobo, psu, ram, old ssd and hdd.

Any and all advice appreciated, thanks guys :)

Solution
It is probably the HDD connected using USB. It is failing. And when your computer try to connect it, it delays the startup, to the point that you are unable to start your computer.

If you are not using the HDD don't keep it connected. And replace it as soon as possible.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
It is probably the HDD connected using USB. It is failing. And when your computer try to connect it, it delays the startup, to the point that you are unable to start your computer.

If you are not using the HDD don't keep it connected. And replace it as soon as possible.

Solution

Mike-G

Honorable
Dec 27, 2015

Ok thank you, I'll disconnect it and hope the problem doesn't come back. Again, I have no way to replicate the issue or check if it's fixed so I'll have no idea lol