G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have a problem with my startup menu. Once I click on it, the menu will pop
up. After after 5-10 secs without selecting any programs, the menu will hang
there and I need to reboot the whole system. What shall I do to solve this
problem? Thanks.

Brandon
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 23:29:03 -0800, Brandon wrote:

> I have a problem with my startup menu. Once I click on it, the menu will pop
> up. After after 5-10 secs without selecting any programs, the menu will hang
> there and I need to reboot the whole system. What shall I do to solve this
> problem? Thanks.
>

The start menu is an integral part of the desktop. It's hard to work with
one that is misbehaving. Have you checked in Event Viewer to see what it
has recorded in regards to the freezing?

Use Start> Run> eventvwr.msc
Then look under the System and Applications branches for red and yellow
marks that have date/time stamp close to the time a freeze has occurred.
Double click to read detailed messages. Use those detailed messages to
progress with the troubleshooting.

Another possible approach: If the start menu problem was a recent
development, use System Restore to revert to the most recent date when this
problem did not exist.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:08:06 -0800, Brandon wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
> Thanks for your help earlier on. I had posted a problem on the Windows XP
> website and you had responded to me on that. I had followed your instructions
> and open up the event viewer. Below are the errors I had in the viewer. Sorry
> my computer knowledge is limited. Can you kindly advise me on how shall I go
> about resolve all these errors? In fact I had multiple errors of these in the
> list. Thank you so much for your help once again.

Hi, Brandon
Had oral surgery on Thursday so did not see your response until early
Friday morning. I'll do some research on those error codes later (awake for
a bit from the meds and then back to sleep) and see what they drum up.

Thoughts based on a quick glance at the error information: There are one or
more startup processes that are failing.

The percent references (1%, 2%, etc) are variables where values (usually a
path to file) failed to fill in. This can be due to a program not entering
information into the registry correctly. The program fails to load because
it does not know what to load. This can also be due to a program that was
uninstalled and the uninstall process did not remove information that is no
longer needed. The process fails because the files/mechanisms to load no
longer exist.

For now, you can check that the services mentioned are, in fact, enabled.
Start> Run> services.msc will bring up the Services screen. Properties of
each item will show you information about each service. Besides being able
to change the startup type in properties, you will find a page for
dependencies - what a particular service depends on and what services
depended on it.

Another thing to try: Create a fresh user profile. Logon with it and check
to see if the problem persists. If it doesn't persist, the problem is
within the profile. If it does persist, the error is in the general
environment or All User oriented.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 01:48:18 -0600, Sharon F wrote:

> I'll do some research on those error codes later [snip] and see what they drum up.

Almost everything I found looped back to a hardware problem of some type.
If overclocking, reset the system to default values. Other possible causes:
BIOS incompatibility, hard drive problems, flakey RAM, insufficient power
supply, flakey drivers (starting machine with hardware that uses those
drivers unattached). Hardware troubles can be hard to track down if you
don't have spare parts laying around that are known to work without trouble
in XP. May need to have a reliable local repair shop help out on this. They
will have tools to detect faults.

One reference to spyware or possible virus. Check system thoroughly for
spyware/adware. Run a full system scan with an antivirus program that is
using current virus definitions.

Sorry I couldn't find anything more conclusive.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for your help. How's your mouth? I will try out all the possibilities
and see if any works. Anyway, thank you so much.

Can I reach you at this email?

Sharon F
sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org

Brandon

"Sharon F" wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 01:48:18 -0600, Sharon F wrote:
>
> > I'll do some research on those error codes later [snip] and see what they drum up.
>
> Almost everything I found looped back to a hardware problem of some type.
> If overclocking, reset the system to default values. Other possible causes:
> BIOS incompatibility, hard drive problems, flakey RAM, insufficient power
> supply, flakey drivers (starting machine with hardware that uses those
> drivers unattached). Hardware troubles can be hard to track down if you
> don't have spare parts laying around that are known to work without trouble
> in XP. May need to have a reliable local repair shop help out on this. They
> will have tools to detect faults.
>
> One reference to spyware or possible virus. Check system thoroughly for
> spyware/adware. Run a full system scan with an antivirus program that is
> using current virus definitions.
>
> Sorry I couldn't find anything more conclusive.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 18:02:02 -0800, Brandon wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
> Thanks for your help. How's your mouth? I will try out all the possibilities
> and see if any works. Anyway, thank you so much.
>
> Can I reach you at this email?

You're welcome, Brandon and good luck with this. The mouth is still very
sore but healing is progressing in the right direction and time frame so
won't complain.

My email used here is valid if you remove DEL before @ and the ETE that
comes after.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User