Startup Programs Not Opening

Xraider

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
Many of the programs that are suppose to open on start up are not opening by themselves. Such as MSI Live Update, Steam and Fast Boot. Upon opening Task Manager, all my programs are still listed as enabled, however, they do not open by themselves. The only one that will open by itself is Bitdefender, but only after several minutes, which previously all of them would open almost immediately. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro, Intel Core i7 4770K, 16 GB RAM. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated. While not vital it is an inconvenience to open every program upon booting up my PC. Thank you in advance.

carolinebennett

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
Hey,
If programs are not opening on start up but they are seen in task manager then this problem can be resolved by disabling approval mode. Follow the below steps to resolve the issue:
Go to Control panel > System and security > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy> Local Policies > Security options

Now disable- User Account Control: run all administrators in admin approval mode.

Hope it will help you.

Xraider

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016

Hello,
Sadly this did not work. Thank you for providing a potential solution. However, upon disabling the User Account Control, nothing changed. To add further information, when clicking on the Notification Area Icons tab, the start up programs still appear, however, when changing the "Only show notifications" option and changing it to "Show icon and notifications; I'm prompted with a "This notification icon is currently not active."

carolinebennett

Reputable
Oct 15, 2015
Hey,
As you have mentioned, notification icons are not active. This problem can be resolved by below steps:

• Press Win+R to open run dialogue box then type regedit
• Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Classes > Local Settings > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > TrayNotify

Note: Make sure you backup TrayNotify folder by clicking on file > export then browse the location to backup whole folder

• On the right panel, delete IconStreams and PastIconsStream
• Now in order to recreate these keys, we have to create new explorer.exe via task manager
• Open task manager, go to explorer.exe > end process
• To start explorer again, go to task manager > File > Run ne task > type explorer.exe > hit ok.

Hope this will be helpful

Xraider

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016

Hello,
I tried this as well to no avail. As a side note, I accidentally clicked "best solution" so apologies in that regard (I'm new to this). I also thought this would potentially fix itself after a while, which of course it hasn't. I also appreciate your continued assistance and patience with me. If there are any other solutions that you could think of it would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.