Startup repair loop after shutting down pc with power button

Apr 17, 2018
Hi, over the weekend my son took his gaming pc to a friends to lan party. When he was powering down to come home, he said he just used the button instead shutting down through windows.
After getting home and setting pc back up, windows 7 will not load. At the windows logo, a blue screen flashes, which you cant even read its so fast, then it restarts with 2 options. Option 1, launch startup repair and option 2, load windows normally. Well, after several attempts, startup repair just fails. Log says startuprepairoffline. Googled this to no avail. No matter what, does not work.
Here are the specs of the pc: asus a68hm-k, windows 7, gforce gtx950, 1tb seagate barracuda.
Here is everything ive tried so far: there is no cd drive, we have a windows 7 bootable usb, tried running startup repair from it, nothing. Ran chkdsk on the hd, fine, no errors, functioning properly. Removing cmos, reinserting. Removing ram, reinserting. Removing hd, reinserting. Tried booting into safe mode, cant even do that, same blue screen flash. Ran command prompt and typed this:

bootrec.exe /fixmbr = completed successfully

bootrec.exe /fixboot = completed successfully

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd = Total identified windows installs = 0

Not sure why it says total windows installs = 0. Would an improper shutdown really wipe windows from an hd? Also, why is safe mode even failing? Anyway, we are at a total deadend, any help will be extremely appreciated!

Solution
Continue to next step then try rebooting in 'Safe mode command prompt'.
Type sfc /scannow to repair corrupt system files.
Try booting in Normal mode
You could take a video when booting to capture the error message.

Plug back the Windows 7 bootable USB and get back to the Command prompt.
Type 'bootrec /rebuildbcd' hit Enter (You will get the same message:Total identified Windows installations: 0)
Type 'bcdedit /export c:\bcdbackup' hit Enter and wait for 'The operation completed successfully.'
Type 'attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s' hit Enter.
Type 'ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old' hit Enter
Type 'bootrec /rebuildbcd'
When ask 'Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:' Hit the Y key then hit Enter.
Restart your computer.

Apr 17, 2018

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it as Im again, today, hurting my brain with this one. All went well until I got to typing ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old it says "a duplicate file name exists, or the file cannot be found". What now?

Apr 17, 2018
Thanks buddy, not sure how or why but after doing that, I went to the "last known good configuration" and it worked this time. Loaded right up as if it never happened. Thanks!

You already did part of the job with /fixmbr to fix corruption issues and /fixboot to write a new boot sector to the system partition.

Since I saw the bcd exist when you sent the command: /rebuildbcd and you got this "Total identified windows installs = 0"
The BCD has the menu entries that are presented by the Windows Boot Manager to load Windows.

We removed the hidden, read-only, and system attributes from the file bcd ('attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s') so it can be re-written.
We delete the bcd, completely so it can be rebuild by any recovery step.
After the BCD store is recreated then Windows or its recovery options should start.