Startup repair problems

h2323

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hi there, any help will be much appreciated.

Windows 7 home premium
Dell Studio XPS 1645
I7 1.73 GHZ
6 GB DDR3
500 GB Toshiba

I have had this computer for just over a year and it has ran like a top. I was surfing the internet last night when it just shuts off (no slow down no blue screen) and boots into startup repair. It would not repair, just sat in there forever and would not boot into safemode or anything. It just kept booting into startup repair for hours.

So I hit esc when it booted to startup repair, I go to the dell backup and restore, save my work documents and pics and let it boot to factory fresh windows install from the dell created partition.

Windows reinstalls and loads fine, boots in and begins to update succsessfully and then reboots back into repair. This happens everytime it reboots. After sometime it will boot into windows fine. If I restart I am back into startup repair for half an hour or more.

Does anyone know what the problem is here. I have ran a memory diagnostic with no problems found. When it lets me into windows it runs fine. Please help

h2323

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
K I will try that. Is it possible for malware to stay on the computer through the dell backup and restore utility I used? Its not like I did a complete fresh install of windows they did not provide me a disk

h2323

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
I reinstalled fresh from dell partition again and immediately turned off updates, reboots fine. right as I fired up explorer to get firefox i had some fake google pop up spam though. strange. kind of boots slow as well. scared to update now

h2323

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
pretty sure I have malware issue even though I did that reinstall from the dell partition. when I click on a google search option I am redirected right away to some spam marketing page. how is this possible