Startup repair when I boot the PC.

fkrico

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Hello,

I've never had this problem before, and frankly, it came out of nowhere. I haven't had one issue since buying all new RAM. I come home from work one day hoping to play some nice video games, when I booted my PC to this madness. It said "Windows is loading files" like I had a disc in the drive (I have nothing in my computer that is bootable.) It goes straight to startup repair, repairs it, and prompts to "finish". When I click finish, it restarts the computer and does the same thing.

Edit: Under the diagnosis and repair details, I'm getting the following error codes.

Boot manager failed to find OS loader.
Repair action: File repair
Result:Failed. Error code = 0x490
Time taken = 1592 ms

Repair action: Boot configuration data store repair
Result: Failed. Error Code = 0x490
Time Taken = 171 ms

Solution
Window's startup repair may have tagged the wrong hard disk as bootable. Check your bios when you get the chance, and ensure it has set your SSD as your primary (first hard drive) boot drive.

c3h8

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Disclaimer: My proposed solution assumes there is no (unresolved error) with your system.

When booting press F8 (about once every second or so), it should allow you to choose your boot options. Choose "Start Normally" or "Last known good configuration". If you get to the desktop: Start > Run > Msconfig > boot, and ensure nothing is enabled there.

fkrico

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

Do you think it could be a virus? Because like I said, there were no signs of issue... Everything worked fine. I tried booting and hitting F8, but it continued with the startup repair.

c3h8

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
It looks like a boot configuration file got corrupted, it happens. Viruses try not to break your computer with warning, it's unprofitable. More likely than not windows messed up during an update.

According to the MS forums the boot-loader just got messed up: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/299b227b-fa38-4902-b41a-d868075d763e/windows-7-startup-problem-error-code-0x490?forum=w7itprogeneral it's inconvenient, but unless you have other (major) problems, it's safe to assume this is an isolated incident.

It's poor form to link to another site, but option 2 from this link will walk you through your best course of action: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html I like it because it has nice pictures.

fkrico

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

That's not totally out of question. I was in a hurry to turn my computer off the other day, but it had to install an update. I turned it off while it was updating, transferred everything in my old case into my new one, and used it after with no issues. But now I can't start it. Lol.

I got Windows Boot manager to pop up. It looks like I have two options. to boot from Windows 7 professional (recovered) and Windows Memory Diagnostic.

fkrico

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

Will do. That option take me back to the same startup repair. It won't even let me tab down to Memory Diagnostic, and when I hit F8 (specify advanced option for this choice) with the Win7 Pro highlighted, it takes me to the same startup repair. I'm getting very frustrated :[

fkrico

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

I put the installation disc in my computer, but it won't boot from it. I'm not totally 100% that my DVD is first boot, so I'd have to check my manual and see what my BIOS button is.

My BIOS button is Delete, and the button to enter boot options is F11. Nothing happens when I click F11, but the boot manager comes up when I press delete...

c3h8

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Use the Delete key, if it gives you an option to boot to the DVD take it. It it takes you to your bios settings, make the CD/DVD drive your first option, save and exit, then restart.

Regardless of the path you have to take (or motherboard settings you go through) the goal is to boot to the Windows DVD and use the automatic setup-repair tool.

fkrico

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

The delete key does the same thing F2, F4, F5, etc. Takes me to Windows Boot manager. I don't know how to enter BIOS now.

c3h8

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Power the system down. Unplug it for a few minutes, and re-seat the keyboard and mouse cables. Then restart, if the problem persist try swapping in a known good keyboard. If the problem persist unplug your hard drive and see if you can get to bios settings then.

fkrico

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

I have a SSD, and a HDD. I unplugged my HDD and it booted Windows. So my new problem is finding out what is causing my HDD to not let my SSD boot.

c3h8

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
Window's startup repair may have tagged the wrong hard disk as bootable. Check your bios when you get the chance, and ensure it has set your SSD as your primary (first hard drive) boot drive.

Solution