startup will not work in Windows 10

boomdig

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
I was using a third party cleaner when my gateway shut down and restarted but I get a blue screen that says Select account but my keyboard and mouse do not work. If I hardboot a get a blue screen that say Windows has run into a problem and will restart for you.
I went into the boot menu and it was set to boot off floppy disc. I reset it to boot off the hard drive and I get the same results. Any ideas? Should I use rufus and make a USB bootable drive?
Any help is apprecuiated.

Hello boomdig

Since you were using cleaner, it doesn't look like you need to reinstall Windows or create a bootable USB drive.

To start with, you can try Booting Windows 10 in Safe Mode and then Restoring Windows 10 to an Earlier Restore Point.

If the above doesn't help, you can then go for Windows Reset to reset your Windows 10 to the factory defaults with or without removing your personal files.

Feel free to reply back if further assistance is needed.

Cheers!! :)

boomdig

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Not a solution but the rest of the story. I managed to find online tech help that came with my purchase of regServo that advertised their program would fix my issues. Ran the program and had about 800 malware programs and cookies that malwarebytes never found or protected me. By remote the tech had to remove them one at a time. At one point he asked if he could restart my computer and I gave him the OK. While rebooting for some reason my breaker on my surge protecter blew and I had no power. I reset the breaker and started up my computer. I had lost my internet, keyboard and mouse and couldn't get it running again when I happened to notice all the devices were USB devices. We spent over 4 hours working on it and I got so tired around 1:eek:oam I managed to get a continue of my session for this afternoon. We tried installing Windows 10 off a bootable flash drive I have and that didn't work. It would load Windows 10 to a picture of the ocean with a clock on it and all I ever had to do was click on it once and my desktop would come up. Now it was freezing at the pretty picture but I had no keyboard or mouse functions. I finally realized that nothing with the USB 2,0 was working. Turns out for some reason when he went to restart it last night it had blown out my USB controls. Had a new tech today and he worked on it remotely a couple of hours and we came to the same conclusion that somehow a voltage spike during the night before it had taken out my USB properties. I had paid $100 bucks for the tech support but ot it all refunded as they did not fix the computer .Probably will never know what caused that voltage spike but there was so much stuff the techs put in the run box that I had never heard of It discovered 200 files of malware and cookies that malwareBytes and a few other programs like it don't stop really anything from getting onto your computer. It was an old Gateway but until the voltage spike the techs liked how amazing this old beast was. I guess I sorta learned a lesson but never went anywhere with malwareBytes and Windows defender running and not over writing warnings about malicious web sites that malwarBytes detected. Thank God I only pent $60 bucks for that old Gateway and got a refund for sevices they could not provide.