StartupMonitor

Has anybody had any experience with, or know by reputation, StartupMonitor,
the program described here?
http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
RealPlayer has decided to cripple every .rm download or embedded player on
the net until you upgrade to 9 or 10. At the same time they also insist in
putting a nondefeatable monitor in the start-up group for those versions,
and there doesn't seem to be a registry hack to remove it. There are some
other offenders as well, but they're the worst.

Yes Roger, I use it in conjunction with Startup Control Panel and both
utilities are indispensable. Startup Control Panel allows you to
easily manage what's in your startup whereas Startup Monitor alerts
you when a program is trying to attach itself to your startup.

Dan

"Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> Has anybody had any experience with, or know by reputation,
StartupMonitor,
> the program described here?
> http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
> RealPlayer has decided to cripple every .rm download or embedded
player on
> the net until you upgrade to 9 or 10. At the same time they also
insist in
> putting a nondefeatable monitor in the start-up group for those
versions,
> and there doesn't seem to be a registry hack to remove it. There are
some
> other offenders as well, but they're the worst.

Once StartupMonitor has been directed to not allow a program, say RP10, to
insert itself into the startup group, will it continue to ask at every
boot-up, or can it be set to automatically disallow it?

Dapper Dan wrote:
> Yes Roger, I use it in conjunction with Startup Control Panel and both
> utilities are indispensable. Startup Control Panel allows you to
> easily manage what's in your startup whereas Startup Monitor alerts
> you when a program is trying to attach itself to your startup.
>
> Dan
>
> "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
>> Has anybody had any experience with, or know by reputation,
>> StartupMonitor, the program described here?
>> http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
>> RealPlayer has decided to cripple every .rm download or embedded
>> player on the net until you upgrade to 9 or 10. At the same time
>> they also insist in putting a nondefeatable monitor in the start-up
>> group for those versions, and there doesn't seem to be a registry
>> hack to remove it. There are some other offenders as well, but
>> they're the worst.

I don't believe so, Roger, at least I can't recall one incident of it
behaving as such.

> Once StartupMonitor has been directed to not allow a program, say
RP10, to
> insert itself into the startup group, will it continue to ask at
every
> boot-up, or can it be set to automatically disallow it?
>
> Dapper Dan wrote:
> > Yes Roger, I use it in conjunction with Startup Control Panel and
both
> > utilities are indispensable. Startup Control Panel allows you to
> > easily manage what's in your startup whereas Startup Monitor
alerts
> > you when a program is trying to attach itself to your startup.
> >
> > Dan
> >
> > "Roger Fink" <fink@*****.net> wrote in message
> >> Has anybody had any experience with, or know by reputation,
> >> StartupMonitor, the program described here?
> >> http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
> >> RealPlayer has decided to cripple every .rm download or embedded
> >> player on the net until you upgrade to 9 or 10. At the same time
> >> they also insist in putting a nondefeatable monitor in the
start-up
> >> group for those versions, and there doesn't seem to be a registry
> >> hack to remove it. There are some other offenders as well, but
> >> they're the worst.

Think I'll try it.
Thanks Dan