Statesman on XP

The question was:
Could you give a complete overview of how experience is awarded when in a
team? How does the level of the team members affect the xp earned and how
it is split between players? What effect does Sidekicking or Exemplaring
have? Is there a group bonus, and does it change based on the size of the
group? (Apparently much of this has been explained in dev posts on the US
boards, but as these are no longer available, new European players like
me would really appreciate the info.)

And Statesman's answer:
On the top level, XP is divided by damage done. If two heroes both attack
and defeat a single mob, each hero is given XP proportionate to the
amount of damage received by the mob.

Within a team-up, XP is divided equally among each member, but levels are
taken into account. So if a 35th level Blaster teams up with a 32nd level
Tanker, the 35th level Blaster would receive proportionately more XP (on
the assumption that the higher level character contributed more to the
conflict).

When two or more different groups of heroes attack the same mob, the
damage of each group is added up and used to divide the mob’s XP.

For every person in a team up, there is an XP boost. The experience
points of each mob are multiplied by a value before being divided among
the team members. Currently, the XP boost values are this:

Team Size XP multiplier
2 1.25
3 1.5
4 1.8
5 2
6 2.1
7 2.2
8 2.5

Sidekicking allows players to play at a level higher than their actual
Security Level. While Sidekicked, a hero is considered to be at this
higher level for XP division. But the hero receives XP depending upon the
relatively levels of the mobs he faces. Example: my 15th level Scrapper
is sidekicked to a 28th level Controller. For purposes of combat, my
Scrapper is now 27th level. If I went out and fought 29th level minions,
their XP would be calculated as if they were 17th level minions.

One thing to keep in mind is that as a sidekick, a hero is counted as a
full high-level hero when doling out rewards even though he doesn’t have
as many powers as a natural hero would. So the risk for the mentor (and
teammates) is slightly higher but they get the same reward. If you are
within 3-5 levels of your buddy you might want to think about being a
regular teammate and not a sidekick: the rewards might be better. This
will depend on the villains you are fighting, your aversion to risk, and
the composition of your team.

While Exemplaring, a hero receives XP in a similar way. The hero’s actual
level is brought down to that of the Aspirant. The Exemplar takes XP from
mobs depending the relation of the Exemplar level and the mob level.
Example: A 45th level Defender is Exemplarred down to 29th level. He
fights a 30th level Minion. The Defender earns XP as though it were a
46th level minion. However, an Exemplar does not gain XP; anything earned
is applied exclusively to XP debt.

--
Marcel

>On the top level, XP is divided by damage done. If two heroes both
attack
>and defeat a single mob, each hero is given XP proportionate to the
>amount of damage received by the mob.

>Within a team-up, XP is divided equally among each member, but levels
are
>taken into account. So if a 35th level Blaster teams up with a 32nd
level
>Tanker, the 35th level Blaster would receive proportionately more XP
(on
>the assumption that the higher level character contributed more to the

>conflict).

Doesn't sound right to me.

I've been in groups where the mobs are green/grey and getting peanuts
for exp while everyone else who are much lower then me say they are
getting good exp. Yet I've been in groups where I'm 5 level below
most people and not attacking at all (because I'm healing people) yet
I'm getting miles more exp then the people doing the killing!!

Not to mention you can stand in a corner and no nothing at all but get
the same exp.

>> Doesn't sound right to me.
>> I've been in groups where the mobs are green/grey and getting
peanuts
>> for exp while everyone else who are much lower then me say they are
>> getting good exp. Yet I've been in groups where I'm 5 level below
>> most people and not attacking at all (because I'm healing people)
yet
>> I'm getting miles more exp then the people doing the killing!!
>> Not to mention you can stand in a corner and no nothing at all but
get
>> the same exp.
>As John mentioned, the assumption is made, when calculating XP, that
if you
>are on a team, that you are contributing. But you are also missing a
very
>important point. The XP that you get is also adjusted for the
differences
>in levels between you and the mob. If the mob is lower than you, you
will
>get less XP because it is considered less of a challenge. If it is
higher
>than you , you get more XP because it is more of a risk. That is also
>factored into the calculations for XP.

Which is my point. The OP doesn't mention it and from my experience
it the most important thing to consider when you want to work out how
much exp you will get. The OP says a 35 will get more then a 32 because
he is contributing more but from my experience due to the difference in
levels he will get less because the game gives him less exp as the mob
is seen a less of a challenge.

>> Which is my point. The OP doesn't mention it and from my experience
>> it the most important thing to consider when you want to work out
how
>> much exp you will get. The OP says a 35 will get more then a 32
because
>> he is contributing more but from my experience due to the difference
in
>> levels he will get less because the game gives him less exp as the
mob
>> is seen a less of a challenge.

>Of course I didn't mention it. I was posting a message that was posted
on
>the official CoH forums. The question was one that had been asked of
>Statesman, and I simply copy/pasted the question/answer.
>The fact that if the mob is a different level than you get different
XP is
>so basic to the game that it doesn't need explanation or mention...

I have no idea who Statesman is but you posted something here
explaining how exp worked but missed out a vital part.

And if you are new to mmorpg like me it isn't a given EXP is adjust
according to the level difference between you and the mob. My
background console RPGs and it was a new concept to me.

>> And if you are new to mmorpg like me it isn't a given EXP is adjust
>> according to the level difference between you and the mob. My
>> background console RPGs and it was a new concept to me.

>I'd say that in console RPGs quite a common concept that something
that's
>easier to kill gives you less xp.

Yes but the amount of exp you get doesn't necessarily change as you
level up.

bombaymix wrote:

> > On the top level, XP is divided by damage done. If two heroes both
> > attack and defeat a single mob, each hero is given XP proportionate
> > to the amount of damage received by the mob.
> >
> > Within a team-up, XP is divided equally among each member, but levels
> > are taken into account. So if a 35th level Blaster teams up with a
> > 32nd level Tanker, the 35th level Blaster would receive
> > proportionately more XP (on the assumption that the higher level
> > character contributed more to the conflict).
>
> Doesn't sound right to me.
>
> I've been in groups where the mobs are green/grey and getting peanuts
> for exp while everyone else who are much lower then me say they are
> getting good exp. Yet I've been in groups where I'm 5 level below most
> people and not attacking at all (because I'm healing people) yet I'm
> getting miles more exp then the people doing the killing!!
>
> Not to mention you can stand in a corner and no nothing at all but get
> the same exp.

He said assumption that the higher level contributed more, not that they
did contribute more. So that covers the stand in the corner and do
nothing part. You're on the team, you're considered to have contributed.

Contribution != Damage either.
So that covers the healing people part.

As for the green/grey and you get poor xp and they get good xp..
You get a good xp amount proportionate to how much you'd normally get
from a mob of that level. They get a slightly less proportional amount
but it looks larger because of the mob being worth more as a base because
they're, eg, even level.

--
| Victory Server: |
| Bex - Level 34 Blaster (Assault Rifle/Devices) |

bombaymix wrote:

> I have no idea who Statesman is but you posted something here
> explaining how exp worked but missed out a vital part.

It's the board name used by the lead designer on CoH - Jack Emmert.

Statesman is also the primary superhero in Paragon City.

On 8 Mar 2005 12:36:27 GMT, Marcel Beaudoin <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> "bombaymix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in

> As John mentioned, the assumption is made, when calculating XP, that if you
> are on a team, that you are contributing. But you are also missing a very
> important point. The XP that you get is also adjusted for the differences
> in levels between you and the mob. If the mob is lower than you, you will
> get less XP because it is considered less of a challenge. If it is higher
> than you , you get more XP because it is more of a risk. That is also
> factored into the calculations for XP.

He may also be forgetting about XP inflation--1 XP to a level 40 is
worth much less than 1 XP to a level 30. A white minion kill that
might award a lowbie 100 XP will award a higher-level player 1000--and
since the lowbie has to make less XP before he levels, that means the
lowbie actually got more XP, relatively speaking, than the highbie.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

> I have no idea who Statesman is but you posted something here
> explaining how exp worked but missed out a vital part.

Umm, no. I posted something about how XP in teams worked, and didn't miss a
vital part. The fact that you didn't know that XP scales according to
differences in level between you and the mob does not make it vital. A
basic part of determining XP, yes, a vital part for the posting, no.

As for who Statesman is, he is the lead designer for City of Heroes, Jack
Emmert. He is also the guy in the manual that explains things to you. And
if you didn't know who that was, the ideal thing to do is ask "Who is
Statesman". That would give the rest of us in here the level of knowledge
about City of Heroes that we are working with.

> And if you are new to mmorpg like me it isn't a given EXP is adjust
> according to the level difference between you and the mob. My
> background console RPGs and it was a new concept to me.

City of Heroes makes no effort to hide this. If you look in the chat window
(default position lower left hand corner of the monitor when playing City
of Heroes), the amount of XP that you get for killing mobs is quite clear.
That, combined with the fact that the "names" of the mobs aer in different
colors when you "mouse over" and that if you click on the mob you can
actually see the level should make it quite clear that XP scales with level
difference.
--
Marcel