Question Static damaging headphones?

daxmashburn

Honorable
Jun 12, 2018
I've got a pair of beyerdynamic dt1990s to go with my modi and magni amp stack not too long ago. Recently though I've noticed that when static electricity runs through my headphones (I have a fabric chair and carpet), it distorts the sound coming from the right ear.
I will hear pops and static that you expect, but also the sound from the right ear will sometimes fade out and sometimes even stop producing sound. Usually after a second it will go back to normal, but this time it seems permanent. The right speaker is giving out noticeably less power than the left.

From all I've heard online, random static electricity shouldn't pose a real threat to your phones, but this seems to not be the case with mine. How can I get them back to normal, and what steps can I take to avoid static running through them?

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
It's probably not your headphone, but your amplifier, especially on balanced output. I've destroyed headphone amps by static discharge before.

Discharge that static electricity somewhere before you put them on. Your computer's case should work - Provided that it is properly grounded itself.

TRENDING THREADS