Static Discharging - Help Needed

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I've built many computers but my main rig is getting hit by static discharges and i need to know how to ground the thing. None of the other computers i've had, have had this issue to this extent.

*Issue*

Sometimes plugging in a USB device causes my machine to restart due to static shock.
My cat walks by and strikes a USB cable or front panel causing a restart "No Joke" from a static shock.

I have nearly every port, every bay used on my motherboard included all SATA ports. There are 4 USB ports that are not hooked up.

The rest of the USB ports are used via External HDD's and other USB devices.

Motherboard : M4A89GTD Pro/USB 3.0
Power Supply : Antic 550 Watt 80+ Certified
All SATA ports are used and the single PATA as well.
Graphics : 460 GTX 768MB
RAM : 16GB G. Skill
Case : Thermaltake V3 Black

I don't think the specs are as important as i think the solution is something to do with grounding.

I'm leaning in the direction of the front panel for my issues, but i don't want to disconnect it. Should i rig up a ground wire from the ground on the front panel and put it on the metal case? Would this solve my issues?

One thing that i also have done is a small sheet of panel board under my tower which lets the power supply breath as it's bottom mounted. The panel then sits on the carpet, this is different then my other PC's as they are normally on the carpet itself.

Anyone know how electricity works and could guide me into grounding this so i don't get the static discharge that kills my MB or other Device? The discharges are not not often, in fact one time it was my USB device and just now my freakin cat "Still loves her though". But i get all tense when it does get hit by one, you know that gut feeling like "Oh ***?" will it start back up.

Thanks for the read folks.

Has it struck you to get the grounding for the mains socket checked by an Electrician?
That's the first step, if the Earth wire there is properly connected, you should not be having this issue.
Usually all the other peripherals that we use like external HDDs or Speakers are only connected to the Mains using 2 wires, that where the current usually hits back.
If you're using a good PSU, which you are, and if it is connected with the 3 Pin wire to the mains, and the mains are properly grounded you cannot possibly have this problem of a beloved cat getting jolted....

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Its prolly the ground that goes to the earth. It isn't happening everytime i plug a USB device it. Its like after a cirtian amount of charge is built up on something and then i touch the PC the static jumps. Again, it only happened 2 times but its enough to get me thinking. I think i may put half the tower on the carpet to see if that helps.

That's exactly the point, there should be NO charge build up with the USB or without them..... the charge 'leaking' in to case should be able to flow out straight thru the ground wire. Now if you have any other house hold appliance like a refrigerator or a AC on the same loop in the house which is leaking current, then again there is a build up because Higher Charge is already present in the ground wire thus stopping or building up current in the wire grounding the PC. When it finds a less resistive way of leaving the circuit it chooses it , ie. namely, the cat.... :(
If you put half the tower on the carpet where will the other half be? on tiled floor or linoleum or a mat or something. Also remember that the metal from the base of the case might not touch the floor because of the duct you made for air to be sucked in for the PSU......

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
^+1 I agree, there seems to be a bad ground in your electrical system. Or even a miss-wired hot-neutral. Get yourself one of these: http://www.amazon.com/50542-Receptacle-Tester-Improper-Indicator/dp/B002LZTKIA
...and plug it into your outlet. (This is assuming you have a U.S. electrical system. The device will vary in other countries.) It will tell you at a glance if you have household electrical issue.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
*Sigh* If it happens again then i'm going to have to do something with it and perhaps that device may help, I'm from the Canadian empire btw. The other half of the pc where the psu sits is on panel board, letting itself breath.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You should be able to locate one of those receptacle testers in any hardware store locally. I really recommend testing your residential wiring since you are experiencing static discharge to such an abnormal extent. It may only be a nuisance now, but it could be an indicator of an electrical safety issue. If the tester shows all is well, then you can go back to it just being a nuisance...