Question Static electricity on my case

Artaherzadeh

Reputable
May 17, 2019
Hi
When I touch my case I feel the electricity and my skin shakes its very low but you can feel it. My case is built from Steel and Aluminium. I had this problem on my last system and I change the MB and PSU and still have this problem. Can Static electricity hurt my new system ? The only things connected to the case are MB ( which is connected using motherboard screws ( Yellow spacers ) ) and my fans.

Edit : Power plugs are not grounded in my country. I feel these shakes and electricity when I connect my iPhone to power plug also I can feel it even when the PSU is off.

Artaherzadeh

Reputable
May 17, 2019
Changing PC hardware is not going to fix this issue. You'll need to get the electrical system in your home fixed. It needs to be be properly grounded and you'll need to have grounded outlets installed.
We have to change the wire system and all outlets and it’s an apartment it’s really expensive to do that now.
+ I have a surge protector.
Like I said if you touch the case you can feel very low electricity and your finger’s skin shakes. ( Metal laptops have the same problem when connected to the power. )
  1. Can this damage my pc ? Can I ignore it ?
  2. Can I connect a wire to the case and a pipe or a metal object ? People are suggesting that this will discharge the extra electricity.
A seller said you need to change your case something is stealing power. ( The only thing is connected to the case body is the MB and PSU )
Making the outlets grounded is impossible because it’s a building the decision isn’t mine to take.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
We have to change the wire system and all outlets and it’s an apartment it’s really expensive to do that now.
+ I have a surge protector.
Like I said if you touch the case you can feel very low electricity and your finger’s skin shakes. ( Metal laptops have the same problem when connected to the power. )
  1. Can this damage my pc ? Can I ignore it ?
  2. Can I connect a wire to the case and a pipe or a metal object ? People are suggesting that this will discharge the extra electricity.
A seller said you need to change your case something is stealing power. ( The only thing is connected to the case body is the MB and PSU )
Making the outlets grounded is impossible because it’s a building the decision isn’t mine to take.
I'm not an electrician but rather than changing house wiring and outlets you could have ground fault indicators installed in your home as the next best thing to actually grounding your electrical system. My grandparents had to do this for insurance purposes a few years ago, they worked great when their fridge in the basement got water logged due to a flood.

Reactions: Artaherzadeh