Static Flash Drive letter?

lespaul5895

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Is there a way to set a static drive letter for a flash drive so that it will show as the same letter every time I plug it in to any computer if that letter is available?

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Once the drive has been assigned a manual drive letter in disk management, it should keep that drive letter. To assign a letter to a drive:
Start -> Right Click "Computer" -> Manage -> Disk Management -> right click on the drive you wish to assign a drive letter -> "Change Drive Letter and Paths" -> click "Change" -> Choose your desired drive letter -> OK. (System reboot may be required to apply changes.)

lespaul5895

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

This will only set it on that particular computer though, correct? I'll have to do this on any PC I plug it into?

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Yeah it would need to be done manually on every computer. not what you are looking for it seems. Only answer I can think of would be to create a batch script to assign the letter and reference that script in an autorun.ini file. The user would be prompted for authorization by Windows UAC every time the USB drive is inserted and would not be run if the user cancels autorun.

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

You can use relative links as apposed to absolute paths. You can also use the computer's hostname or staticly assigned IP address, or use the loopback IP range 127.x.x.x or go with a free domain like NoIp.
Example:
if a page is in the same folder/directory:
index.html instead of X:\www\index.html
If the link is to a parent folder use:
"../index.html" instead of X:\www\index.html if currently in a page located in 1 sub directory past X:\www\
Need to go up more?
"../../index.html" if in a page located 2 folders past X:\www\