Question Static from headphone jack & every other connected device

Jun 7, 2022
Hello,

So I'll run through the problem and what I've tried. I wanted to plug my little speaker into my PC so I didn't have to wear my wireless headset all the time. Got a bunch of static and noise consistently.

I made sure it had nothing to do with the speaker and can confirm that is clear by plugging it into my iPad. I gave my monitors a try since in theory that would work. All three have the same static buzzing noise. If I unplug the display port from them it stops. Also tried to plug into my monitor jack on my audio interface same noise.

Eventually, frustrated, I gave up and I plugged in my iPad after giving up, that works fine. But what really has me confused is, on a whim, I plugged in my USB-C to lightning cable from my PC to my iPad, and I got the same noise. I then just took the USB-C side and pressed it against metal motherboard ports, same static. Even the screw holes for VGA on the motherboard make a static noise come through. It almost strikes me as a grounding problem, but it continues through all cables, so I don't really know how to fix that.

I'm really at a loss of what to do here. Any suggestions?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your speakers? Make and model of your motherboard? The PC is noisy environment especially if you're working with the onboard audio chip that's bundled on your motherboard. You could try and make sure that your motherboard's BIOS is up to date, that you're on the latest OS update/version and that your drivers are the latest, going so far as to uninstall and manually reinstall(Right click installer>Run as Administrator) and see if the noise is reduced.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Jun 7, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make and model of your speakers? Make and model of your motherboard? The PC is noisy environment especially if you're working with the onboard audio chip that's bundled on your motherboard. You could try and make sure that your motherboard's BIOS is up to date, that you're on the latest OS update/version and that your drivers are the latest, going so far as to uninstall and manually reinstall(Right click installer>Run as Administrator) and see if the noise is reduced.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?
Speaker: Hartke HD15
Motherboard: MSI Z390 A-PRO
PSU: NZXT C850 (A month old)

And I'll give what you mentioned a go and see what happens.

Last edited:

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Speaker: Hartke HD15
Motherboard: MSI Z390 A-PRO
PSU: NZXT C850

And I'll give what you mentioned a go and see what happens.
Checked the audio solution of your mainboard, it has this: Realtek® ALC892/897 Codec .

Suffice to say, it's not good. Buy either a internal or external sound card, and your problem will be 99% solved.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
The problem is it still runs static even if I run off my interface, is there anything I can do about that?
The difference between IPAD and soundcards or dacs is they have no amplifier, they are LINE signal, which means they barely give extra power. That's why there is no static noise. The actual problem is the speaker itself then. As soon as it gets extra power it starts making noise.

Jun 7, 2022
The difference between IPAD and soundcards or dacs is they have no amplifier, they are LINE signal, which means they barely give extra power. That's why there is no static noise. The actual problem is the speaker itself then. As soon as it gets extra power it starts making noise.
I don't know if that's the problem. The noise happens as well when I plug the charger for iPad into my PC and the iPad, so I went ahead and grabbed my laptop and did the same and there wasn't any noise there.

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
I don't know if that's the problem. The noise happens as well when I plug the charger for iPad into my PC and the iPad, so I went ahead and grabbed my laptop and did the same and there wasn't any noise there.
Laptop and iPad are both Line. But in general, I think it seems to be rather random now. Even the soundcard is Line, your external dac is the only amplifier in this regard. So all I can say now is, the soundcard is most certainly trash, it's well known low quality part. The external DAC is good, but maybe has too much power, hence adding noise. The iPAD and Laptop are 1) only line signal, which doesn't add much noise and 2) have good quality. Also care about not turning volume up too much, maybe use volume of speakers more than of the device the music comes from, it could also solve the problem. It could be a simple balancing problem.

Jun 7, 2022
Laptop and iPad are both Line. But in general, I think it seems to be rather random now. Even the soundcard is Line, your external dac is the only amplifier in this regard. So all I can say now is, the soundcard is most certainly trash, it's well known low quality part. The external DAC is good, but maybe has too much power, hence adding noise. The iPAD and Laptop are 1) only line signal, which doesn't add much noise and 2) have good quality. Also care about not turning volume up too much, maybe use volume of speakers more than of the device the music comes from, it could also solve the problem. It could be a simple balancing problem.
Well any recommendations on what to do about PC audio? Do you think it is maybe a grounded problem or that I just need to get some external part to deal with this?

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
Well any recommendations on what to do about PC audio? Do you think it is maybe a grounded problem or that I just need to get some external part to deal with this?
I like Creative parts, for myself I use a Creative SB AE-5 now and with the speakers I use, there's so little noise I can't even tell if the speakers are on or not. They also have this for external, which is a well liked product among enthusiasts: https://en.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blasterx-g5

Otherwise, try 50% on PC volume or dac volume and rest of volume, anything extra, should come from the speakers itself. That's the way I use it and works perfectly for me.

Do you have another PSU to test? If it were a grounding issue then there would be something going on with the PSU OR you may have a short somewhere in the PC, likely on the motherboard. If it is truly a sound isolation issue with the SoC for the audio on the motherboard then USB devices wouldn't cause a humm unless it was a power issue if my understanding is correct. When you say, "I then just took the USB-C side and pressed it against metal motherboard ports, same static," does that also do the same thing when pressed against the metal case side panel? How about the metal PSU shroud? Please be careful to not electrocute yourself.