MrHammers

Prominent
May 4, 2022
Hey there!

Been using these forums to answer a lot of my questions for years and am now in need of some more specific help.

A while back I noticed my ISP changed my IP address from my hometown in Oregon to an IP in Dallas, Texas. I was suddenly having internet issues and bad lag and performance drops with video streaming/Games. Well, I got ahold of them and was told they did in fact purchase a small batch of IPs in Texas. I made mention of my issues and was told that the IP being in Texas would not affect my internet speed. I asked them to change it back anyway and was told that the only way I could do that would be to pay an additional $5.99 a month to get a static IP. Seemed a little scummy to me that I had to pay to appear in the state I lived in but nonetheless I paid for it.

Now I am in hell with my internet. As I am writing this I am getting ready for bed after having sat at my desk for 13 hours trying to troubleshoot, call, or email support.

I was given an email by my ISP containing:

The IP
The gateway IP
The subnet mask
The primary DNS and
The secondary DNS

I was not told how to set this up, but i succeeded after a few hours. Now is my main issue. I have no ethernet. I'll admit I have no idea what I am doing at this point. I assumed that when they offered a paid service that THEY would be doing the setup. So my WiFI works and it works well on my other devices, however, my PC is a bit far from the router and so it has always been hard wired. Now this is not an option. I have tried just about everything I can find to fix this issue. I am not sure exactly what info is useful so i will just include everything I know.

When I try to connect with ethernet I get the message that I have no internet. Going into the network settings my ethernet comes back as an "Unidentified network".

The properties page of said ethernet adapter says:
IPv4 "No Internet access"
IPv6 "No Network access"
Media state is enabled.
Speed: 1.0 Gbps
Bytes sent 167,158 / Bytes Received 7,140

Going deeper into the properties and IPv4 protocol it is set to obtain an IP address automatically. (Although I have set these parameters manually in several different ways by several different guides to no avail.

No matter what I try I get no further. Here is a list of attempts.

-Changing Ipv4 protocol to match ISP given IP and DNS settings
-Flushdns
-Netsh Int IP reset
-Ipconfig release and renew
-Resetting router to factory settings
-Restarting router and or PC about 12 times
-Uninstalling and reinstalling ethernet adapter drivers
-Turned off the computers ability to turn off the adapter to save power
-Disabling IPv6 to prioritize Ipv4
-Reserved a DHCP address through my router settings

I only followed instruction and did so to a T. I am about ready to chuck my router into the sea and refuse to look at my computer again. Only kidding.

I will also make mention that my ISP told me my internet speed would not be affected by the Texas IP address. However, I ran speed tests before and after switching and noticed an increase in my upload speed from 9Mbps to 153Mbps.

But seriously, If anyone can understand what I've written and help me I will be forever in your debt.

Thanks in advance for not being mean to a tech savvy but not TO tech savvy guy!

TL;DR

I setup my home router for static IP and now my ethernet will not connect. My WiFi connects but I need a wired connection for my PC. I have tried everything in the list above to bring it back, but with no luck.

Last edited:
First what made you think your IP was is dallas. You can't believe so called location sites. That it purely a database entry it has nothing to do with the path your data takes. It might mess up the web pages that think they are smart and give you advertising based on location but it in no way affects the path.
Speedtest might also have been too smart for its own good and rather than testing for the best ping to choose a server it used a old data base entry. If you had forced it to use a server in a city near you it would be more accurate. This is the problem with web sites that try to use location that get out of date.

You do not have some magic fiber going from your house to dallas. If you have a fiber at all it goes from your house to the local ISP equipment. It is in that equipment that your end IP is registered as far as internet routing is concerned. That IP is then advertised via routing protocols to every route up stream from there telling them that that to get to you they must pass to that equipment.

Hard to say what you messed up in the router. If you do whatsmyip on the wifi connected devices does it show the properly static public IP.

The ISP assumes that someone who wants/needs a public IP is a little more skilled than your average consumer. If the ISP own the modem and the router they might set it up for you. If it is your equipment then you can't expect the ISP to know details of all equipment.

It would be strange the wifi would work and not ethernet normally it is the other way around. You must have messed something up pretty good to get it to do what you say. I would have a hard time trying to do that on purpose.

I would just start over. Factory reset the router. Set the admin and wifi passwords and verify that all the local devices are getting IP addresses from the router. The internet likely will not work depending on how the ISP has implemented static IP but that is ok key is your end device can talk to the router.

So now you can set the static IP your ISP gave you. Be very sure to only make changes in the WAN part of the router. I suspect you changed something the dhcp or firewall part of the router

TRENDING THREADS