Question Static IP help

Oct 26, 2020
Hey. Im new here and although fairly tech savvy, I'm ignorant to networking. So usually my download speed is around 500-600. Here lately, every other day or so my download speed will stay around 95. My ISP tells me that my router isn't pulling the static IP. So every time I cycle it and the modem it fixes, but eventually goes back to the 95 and loses the static IP. Why is this happening? Is it because my router may be starting to crap out? Thanks for any help.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey. Im new here and although fairly tech savvy, I'm ignorant to networking. So usually my download speed is around 500-600. Here lately, every other day or so my download speed will stay around 95. My ISP tells me that my router isn't pulling the static IP. So every time I cycle it and the modem it fixes, but eventually goes back to the 95 and loses the static IP. Why is this happening? Is it because my router may be starting to crap out? Thanks for any help.
If you have a static IP, then you wouldn't "pull it". That would be a DHCP address. A static IP would be manually entered into the WAN section of your router.

Oct 26, 2020
Ok. Thats greek to me unfortunately. Just repeating what I was told. So what could be causing it to do this? Like I said, eventually after a reboot it will revert back to around 95. It just started this over the past couple weeks

kanewolf

Titan
Ok. Thats greek to me unfortunately. Just repeating what I was told. So what could be causing it to do this? Like I said, eventually after a reboot it will revert back to around 95. It just started this over the past couple weeks
The first thing to look at is ALWAYS the cable between the router and the modem. Replace that cable with a new factory made cable. The router and the modem have to negotiate the connection speed. If the cable is marginal the router will default to 100mbit connection to the modem. Sometimes it may negotiate 1Gbit.
The colors of the network LEDs on the router should tell you the connection speed.

Oct 26, 2020
Had one lying around. Rebooted and still getting 95. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help thus far. Could it be the modem from my ISP? There are 2 ports on the back to connect it to the router. One went bad yesterday. Im now using the other one.

kanewolf

Titan
Had one lying around. Rebooted and still getting 95. Any other ideas? Thanks for your help thus far. Could it be the modem from my ISP? There are 2 ports on the back to connect it to the router. One went bad yesterday. Im now using the other one.
Some modems have different speed ports. What do the LEDs on the router say. The color orange/green (usually) will tell you the link speed on the WAN port.

kanewolf

Titan
Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Triband
That took a while to find -- OK login to your router and go to the ADVANCED tab. In the Internet Port pane, click the Show Statistics button. THAT will show you the connection speed of all your WIRED ports. They should all be 1000M/FULL That means you have gigabit wired connectivity.

That router has a whole lot of fancy features that you can easily screw up and hurt your performance.

Chapter 12 of the user's manual for that router is probably a pretty good place for you to start reading about it.

If one port has already physically died, whatever caused that could be causing the current problem. Run packetlosstest.com and see if that is anything less than perfect. Because the other thing is that the isp is having issues (it's 100x more likely to be the isp than the hardware).

Oct 26, 2020
Ooooooook. Just figured something out. Did a wireless speed test on my phone. Numbers are perfect. Im doing a network test through my Xbox hardwired. That's where I'm getting the 95 speeds. Is it possible my ethernet cable from the router to the Xbox is bad?