Static IP loses internet access after reboot.

osakran

Reputable
Sep 30, 2017
I have a static IP set up and it will work for a few weeks at a time and then randomly I will boot up and it stops working. I cant load up web pages and the only way to get it working again is to use the network reset function and set it up again. Does anyone know what would be causing this to happen?

audie-tron25

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
Is this static address set in your routers settings or just on your device? It sounds like the address could be getting re-assigned through DHCP. What is the DHCP range for your router and what is your static address? (eg 192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.0.10).

When this happens, does other devices experience connectivity issues? It could just be your router needing to be reset regularly.

osakran

Reputable
Sep 30, 2017

I made the static IP address so I could have a open NAT in Destiny 2. I set it up using this website, I just followed the directions and opened the ports in my routers settings. When this does happen i'm able to go on a couple websites but nothing else connects. I made my static IP 192.168.0.10

https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-windows-10.htm

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

An important step left out of that tutorial is to make sure the address you use is not in the DHCP range of your router. Otherwise, that address might be automatically assigned by the router to another device on your network, which will cause connectivity issues.

The DHCP range will be found in the LAN section of your router. If, for instance, the range is 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.100, then a safe address would be 192.168.0.120 (example).

osakran

Reputable
Sep 30, 2017

The DHCP range on my router is 192.168.0.100-199. The static IP I chose was 192.168.0.10.

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

You should tell more about the problem. It may not have anything to do with your static IP. When you experience the problem, are you able to ping the router and websites, and can you access the router's GUI? Did you check ipconfig to see if your static IP address is still correct? Did you try a different static IP address?

If you feel it has something to do with your assigned address, you might try to use the router to set a reserved address instead.

osakran

Reputable
Sep 30, 2017

I can ping certain websites but most do not work. When I check the ipconfig in CMD the it is still using the static IP address I assigned. What do you mean set a reserved IP address in my router?

osakran

Reputable
Sep 30, 2017
MERGED QUESTION
Question from osakran : "Static IP after reboot only certain websites load"

After I set up my static IP it works for about 2-3 weeks then I'll boot up on a random day and I can't connect to most programs or websites. Some websites work, like Google or game informer. Most other websites do not. The static IP address I have is not in the DHCP range. When I check ipcong in CMD it still shows my static ip. The wifi still works fine and the only way to resolve this is to do a network reset in Windows 10 and set the static IP address back up. One thing I noticed is that when this happens I can't login to my router settings it says the username and password is incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.