Question Static IP question

Jun 28, 2019
Hello there!

I've been googling for answers regarding static IP and it led me here where there are more experts here, since I don't seem to open a new topic I'll post my inquiry here.

I'm a gamer on PS4 and I've been suggested to acquire a Static IP from my ISP because of my certain gaming services instabilities. Although I'm already assigning a local static IP to my PS4, but is there a difference between the Static IP I'll have to buy from my ISP and the local static IP I'm already assigning to my PS4 ?

And if I acquired that static IP from my ISP do I have to assign it somehow to my PS4 device similar to assigning a local static IP thingy?

I only use this specific internet service for gaming, which means there's no interruption from other devices into the network (cellphones, laptops etc..)

So how does this static (global or external?) IP works? And what am I supposed to do with it regarding improving my gaming experience (apart from port forwarding which I've learned from google).

Thanks in advance!

What you are talking about is a static PUBLIC ip. The IP assigned to your router in general changes but it changes very seldom. Mostly only when you reboot the modem and then it might not change. Mine has not changed in over a year.

Now what is important is the IP address assigned to your router actually be a IP that everyone else on the internet can see. This is what public IP means, it can be a static or dynamic but key is it must not be in the IP range that is considered private.

There are many tricks to deal with the ip address changing. In most cases you do not need a static ip address. What is confusing is some ISP assign only private ip to routers. Since someone who has a private IP can not host a game it make things difficult. What makes this issue even more confusing is if you call these ISP up and ask for a public IP instead a private one they many times call it "static". They are giving you a both a public IP and a non changing public IP but you really only care about the public part.

In your case if you can get port forwarding to correctly work you likely have a public IP. It is unlikely to change often enough to cause stability issues.

So your ISP gives your router an IP address that the outside world can see, that's how everyone else knows that they are responding to your devices, internally your router then applies local address, usually on a first come first served basis, starting at 192.168.0.1 or similar.
Basic home broadband packages have dynamic IP addresses to the outside world so one day you'll be 64.167.123.45, and a few days later when that lease expires they'll give you another address. perhaps ending .75 instead. Because in 99% of cases a home broadband user does not need (or want) someone from the outside to be able to always find them at a certain address the dynamic system works well.
Business users, perhaps hosting a website or an email server need to have a static address to the outside world so that they can be found.

So to get a static address likely you'll need a business broadband account (a lot more expensive), BUT i don't see how it would solve your problem, to all intents and purposes whilst leased your address is static, it just changes every so often, but for a 'session' it's effectively static.

Jun 28, 2019
Hmm, so that explains that I'd only need a Static IP if I'm hosting a game or a website that requires a Static IP so the outside world would recognise me every time they try to connect to my server.

In that case I truly have no idea why would I need a static IP if I'm the one who's trying to connect to a game's server?

Please read this on Bethesda's website and tell me if their technicians are smoking something: https://help.bethesda.net/app/answe...-cause-of-frequent-disconnects-in-fallout-76?

Hmm, so that explains that I'd only need a Static IP if I'm hosting a game or a website that requires a Static IP so the outside world would recognise me every time they try to connect to my server.

In that case I truly have no idea why would I need a static IP if I'm the one who's trying to connect to a game's server?

Please read this on Bethesda's website and tell me if their technicians are smoking something: https://help.bethesda.net/app/answe...-cause-of-frequent-disconnects-in-fallout-76?
So to be blunt what dumb ass wrote that. Obviously not a even close to a network person, likely some idiot wannabe game developer that has no IT training at all.

The number of addresses is controlled by the DHCP pool in your router. It can technically be as large as you want. The default for most consumer routers is at least a 100 and many it is 250. So it will not shift some silly 5 ip between users. If it runs out of IP the next machine requesting does not get one the other machines continue to use the ip they were assigned uninterrupted.

Your IP never changes every couple of minutes. The DHCP pool default on most routers is 1 day but even if it was 1 hour at 1/2 the time your pc will ask the router "may I keep using the IP". If so it gets another time block or it asks again before it really expires. This is all done behind the scenes and causes no interruptions

The main WAN ip you get from your ISP work very similar. Many times you can see the lease time on the wan port. Again your router tries to renew the lease many times before it actually expires.

Fallout76 if I remember correctly uses a central server it is not hosted on end devices.....don't know stayed far away from that game after all the bad press.

Reactions: devious8