Question Static issues with mic that previously didn't exist

ArashitheCat

Reputable
May 14, 2016
So around three to four of weeks ago I had purchased a Rode PodMic For use in recording videos and voiceovers and whatnot and it was easily living up to what I had expected it to be. Audio was clear and crisp and there was no background noise even with gain set to max (slight exaggeration of course). However, approximately a week and a half ago a friend in a voice call with me reported that he was hearing serious static from my mic even when I wasn't talking. I deduced this wasn't caused by my computer as even when the GPU fans really kicked in this static never got louder.

Nothing about my setup has changed; the mic uses a standard male to female XLR cable and connects to my computer through a Behringer Audio Interface. Adjusting the gain through the interface proves to solve nothing as well and when I go into the mic's properties in windows there is no option for adjusting "Microphone Boost" nor is there an enhancements tab. I have read online that interference can be caused by cables being mixed together however, with the nature of the design of an XLR cable this effect should be cancelled out, but I still tried moving cables to the other side of the room from one another and still had no luck. I'm utterly perplexed as to why this is happening as the other day, the static vanished for around 5 minutes before just popping back into existence and I'm at my wit's end as to what I should do to mitigate this sound.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you pass on the model for your Behringer Audio interface? You may want to make sure your motherboard's BIOS is up to date. Speaking of motherboard's, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Please list other components running off the USB ports on your system and how you're connected to the interface(from the machine).

ArashitheCat

Reputable
May 14, 2016
Can you pass on the model for your Behringer Audio interface? You may want to make sure your motherboard's BIOS is up to date. Speaking of motherboard's, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Please list other components running off the USB ports on your system and how you're connected to the interface(from the machine).
Sure! Also I'll definitely try updating my BIOS, that completely slipped my mind.
The Behringer Interface is the U-PHORIA UM2 model
Computer specs:
CPU: Intel i7-8700K
Motherboard: ASUS Z390
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz
Storage: SSHD Hybrid 2TB Seagate
GPU: GTX 1080 8GB & GTX 970 4GB
PSU: Corsair 750M, 750W
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian 750D

TRENDING THREADS