Question Static Noise, Flickering Screen, Hard Freeze at Startup

Aug 6, 2021
Hello everyone, I think something in my PC is not right...

History:
So, I've noticed around 4 weeks ago that my PC would randomly hard freeze. It happened when I'm browsing, editing videos, playing games, and sometimes even when after windows login screen. I can't replicate or predict when it happens.

08/04
I've suspect that this is due to overheating, so I did clean my PC using air compressor, even to the processor fan and even GPU fan and heatsink. Late at night, everything goes back to normal, but when I tried editing a video, it hard freeze again.

08/05
Late at night again, the PC runs again. I tried doing Disk Cleanup, updating all drivers. Windows Memory Diagnostic doesn't give me any error. Error checking both C and D drive, no error. Then, I tried running Genshin Impact, the monitor glitched and the monitor shuts down, but the processor is still running. So I hold power button to shut it down. I've suspected this is overheating problem in my GPU.

08/06
In the morning, I tried removing my 2 RAM one by one and boot in to see if my RAM works. nothing happened. It boots up normally. So I dismiss the problem and play again, until around 1 hour in when the computer hard freeze again. So this time, I remove the GPU and plug my monitor into the VGA port in the motherboard.

Then this happened:
View: https://youtu.be/m551fTtAgUA

It was just in windows login. The mouse and keyboard is not responding, the screen flickers, and there is a beeping sound.

Then I try entering safe mode, but my PC just freeze at the startup before even getting to windows login.

Spec:
This PC is around 4 years old. Since I can't open my PC right now, I can only tell from looking at the hardware.

Power Supply: Corsair VS550
Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-M
RAM 1: VenomRX 2G DDD3-1600
RAM 2: Visipro 4G DDR3
Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz
GPU: ZOTAC Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Hard Drive: SeaGate 500GB
BIOS: Ver 40.01 Date: 4/20/12

Any help is appreciated!

Edit1: Update Spec

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Corsair VS550
That isn't a reliable PSU....how old is the unit in that build? What OS are you working with? You might want to rule out the discrete GPU being faulty by dropping into a friend's or neighbors system who owns a system with a reliably built PSU and has at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal.

As for your rams, please remove the mismatched sticks and work with only the 4GB stick. As for your motherboard, you should be able to get into BIOS without much hassle. While here, check and see what your BIOS version is at the time of writing.

Aug 6, 2021
My PSU is as old as my PC, around 4 years old. Back around 2 years ago, there was a power surge and that did popped a part of my motherboard and I had to replace motherboard. The power supply turned out fine.

Due to covid restrictions, I can't visit my friend's home right now.

Update: I can access windows for now and give you the full spec.

Power Supply: Corsair VS550
Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-M
RAM 1: VenomRX 2G DDD3-1600
RAM 2: Visipro 4G DDR3
Processor: Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz
GPU: ZOTAC Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Hard Drive: SeaGate 500GB
BIOS: Ver 40.01 Date: 4/20/12

I did remove the 2 GB RAM

Edit: I want to add that the last crash, my CPU, GPU, Mainboard is at 40-50 Celsius.