[SOLVED] Static OC vs XFR2 vs PBO for Maximum Performance!!

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
While trying to purchase a new mobo for 2700X, i have come across these terms like BCLK overclocking, static overclocking, Precision boost overdrive and Extended Frequency Range from the AMD motherboards.
I have also gone through that some motherboards support 1 and does not support the rest for example no offset voltage on MSI boards which results in in-efficient use of PBO on these boards.

Kindly can you explain what technology and overclocking should be used to get maximum performance in gaming or single threaded workloads.

Solution

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
I think if you search on google you'll have multiple articles, guides and reviews.
I'm running the 2700x on Asrock B350 so manual overclocking is a bit tricky. I currently have it on Auto with PBO and Relaxed EDC.

With 3200cl14 memory, I hit about 1860cb. Clocks at 4.25 all cores, heavy work about 4.15 . Boosts to XFR 4.35 on 2 cores for light threads.
CPU+SOC under PBO/EDC climbs to about 180watts under PRIME95.

JaSoN_cRuZe

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017

Yes i did my part of research but my question was which overclocking is better for stability and performance, as you said putting it on auto feeds more volts to processor than necessary, so do you prefer static OC of increasing the multipliers of all cores to 42 or it is better to put it at auto especially under gaming workloads.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016

on my board I'm limited to 4.1ghz all core(manual oc) and I loose XFR, gives worst performance then running the CPU stock
under PBO, sense-mi does its thing, and I get 4.2ghz all core + XFR 4.35ghz
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/sense-mi

my ideal board would be x470 taichi, that would be PBO + BCLK + undervolt and not manual OC

Solution