[SOLVED] Static on screws?

Shinyoff321

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Hi I builded my new pc about a week ago and yesterday i noticed when i touched the PSU screws i felt some static on me. Everything seems to be working perfectly i've had around 40-50 hours gameplay 0 crashes,blue screens etc.
I looked about it but i did't find something clear that i could understand what's the problem.

PSU:CoolerMaster MasterWatt 550

I checked if the PSU is well grounded everything seemed ok.

Solution
It's most likely that you just built up static on yourself for that period of time and you simply dissipated it when you touched something grounded. If it keeps happening, then either you have fantastic carpets or socks, or there could be a problem somewhere. Just make sure everything is properly connected both inside and outside the PC.

But if it's a one off - If static was going to cause severe problems on your machine, it would have happened pretty quickly. So I would say there's no harm been done if nothing has happened already.

Only other thing I would say is make sure your PSU cable is working and properly grounded.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It's most likely that you just built up static on yourself for that period of time and you simply dissipated it when you touched something grounded. If it keeps happening, then either you have fantastic carpets or socks, or there could be a problem somewhere. Just make sure everything is properly connected both inside and outside the PC.

But if it's a one off - If static was going to cause severe problems on your machine, it would have happened pretty quickly. So I would say there's no harm been done if nothing has happened already.

Only other thing I would say is make sure your PSU cable is working and properly grounded.

Solution

Shinyoff321

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019

SO i touched my old pc and i was still getting some static on me which means the chances that it's pc problem is close to minimum right? and most likely it happens because of me.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I';m assuming by your old PC, you mean its set up in a different place with completely different components and PSU etc? As well as a different wall outlet?

Well there is some slim possibility it's the actual grounding in your wall outlets - but if you've gone to a completely different PC and you've still gotten a shock, you're probably just building it up in between. You got your fluffy socks and jacket on your lovely carpet today per chance?

Try grounding yourself before hand and see if the static shock still occurs. if it goes, then it's probably just you building up static.

Shinyoff321

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
I';m assuming by your old PC, you mean its set up in a different place with completely different components and PSU etc? As well as a different wall outlet?

Well there is some slim possibility it's the actual grounding in your wall outlets - but if you've gone to a completely different PC and you've still gotten a shock, you're probably just building it up in between. You got your fluffy socks and jacket on your lovely carpet today per chance?

Try grounding yourself before hand and see if the static shock still occurs. if it goes, then it's probably just you building up static.

Yeah my old pc is in different room,Components,Wall outlet and PSU i was working on it daily for like 5-6 years nothing happened so im assuming im building the static on.

So i did ground my self yesterday and i touched it again, on the first touch i didnt feel something but after 5 sec i was still getting shocked.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well either way - it still sooner sounds like you're building up static yourself. Especially if there was nothing after you grounded yourself at first. Sitting on your knees on carpet can quite easily build up some static depending on what clothing your wearing.

Regardless, if you're getting a similar occurence with another PC, it's probably not an electrical issue with your original PC.

Shinyoff321

Prominent
Feb 17, 2019
Well either way - it still sooner sounds like you're building up static yourself. Especially if there was nothing after you grounded yourself at first. Sitting on your knees on carpet can quite easily build up some static depending on what clothing your wearing.

Regardless, if you're getting a similar occurence with another PC, it's probably not an electrical issue with your original PC.

Thanks a lot man you helped a lot clear things out

Reactions: PC Tailor