Static picked up in recordings

thwoyte

Prominent
Aug 21, 2017
I have a Logitech G230 headset and in recordings (Voice recorder, OBS) I hear static even when my mic is muted, but it's louder when the microphone is unmuted. But when i'm using Skype or Discord the static doesn't transmit. Any ideas on what's causing this? Would a sound card solve this?

Solution
Try the Logtitech G230's on another computer. Try another headset on your current computer. Determine if the problem follows the headset or stays with the computer.

Static is probably a loose connection via a plug or connection port. Could also be a loose/broken wire somewhere. Interference is also an option.

Any audio extension cords, audio adapters (splitting headphones and mic for example) or any inline volume control switches? Eliminate as many possible problem sources as you can. Remove if possible and/or replace with known working components.

A sound card may help but only if adding a sound card is the solution to an identified problem. For example a bad audio port on the motherboard.

You need to narrow down the...

Ralston18

Titan
Try the Logtitech G230's on another computer. Try another headset on your current computer. Determine if the problem follows the headset or stays with the computer.

Static is probably a loose connection via a plug or connection port. Could also be a loose/broken wire somewhere. Interference is also an option.

Any audio extension cords, audio adapters (splitting headphones and mic for example) or any inline volume control switches? Eliminate as many possible problem sources as you can. Remove if possible and/or replace with known working components.

A sound card may help but only if adding a sound card is the solution to an identified problem. For example a bad audio port on the motherboard.

You need to narrow down the possible problem sources.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS