[SOLVED] Static Running Through Case Screws and USB Ports, Random Reboots, and PC Only Boots With One Stick of RAM

kyunix

Commendable
Nov 8, 2020
So around the early Summer of this year, a problem started occurring to my PC which I got around February in 2019. My PC kept black-screening and would turn off but reboot a few seconds later. I thought it was just a crash but it kept happening around every 5 minutes once I started up a game or just randomly.
I was starting to get extremely worried so I started doing some research. I realized that some causes of this could be a bad PSU or a bad MOBO. At the time, I was running an EVGA 500W PSU so I upgraded to a 600W smart PSU. It solved my random crashes but I could still feel static going through the case screws and fan screws. I know I should not have done this but, I just ignored the static since it wasn't crashing.

For a few months my PC. wasn't crashing and was perfectly fine, except that now I could even feel static through 2 spots of my keyboard near some screws. I also ignored this. But just a few days ago, my PC started crashing again, worse than ever. I would crash so many times in just 30 minutes. I would turn it on, load into Warzone/Fortnite, and not even be able to load into a game.
So that day, I bought a new motherboard since the previous one I had wasn't too good for gaming. I was so certain since it was an MSI B450M Pro-VDH, paired with a Ryzen 7 3700x and 1660 Super. I just thought I needed a better MOBO for it to handle my components. I was very happy thinking this would solve my issue. I just finished building it today, and sadly it didn't do anything. I could still feel static going through the case screws, fan screws, and USB ports. I've tried switching outlets but nothing. I have a feeling it's my case but I'm not sure since I've rebuilt my PC so many times and haven't seen anything weird.

It won't even turn on with the second stick of RAM. My PC is only booting with one stick of ram. I tried going into BIOS and enabling XMP then shutting off and installing the second stick but that doesn't work either.

I'm down bad right now and don't know what to do. I really need help guys. I don't want to spend more money on PC parts and I'm thinking the best thing to do here is to go to MicroCenter and get some help there. (I think they do, could someone clarify if they have support for these types of things?) I'm hoping it won't cost too much. I will leave SPECS below.

TLDR: I can feel static/electricity on mostly every screw of the case and USB port, even my keyboard! I have bought a new PSU and MOBO but it didn't solve it. I have also tried to switch outlets but nothing. I'm thinking it may be my case but not sure and don't want to spend even more money again. Now with my new MOBO, my PC is only booting up with one stick of ram. Tried to go into BIOS and enabling XMP then shutting off and installing the second stick but that doesn't work either. I have also cleared CMOS and nothing. what can I do to solve these two problems?

SPECS:
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite
Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI 1660 Super Gaming X
Corsair Pro Vengeance 2x8GB RAM 3200Mhz
Thermaltake Smart 600W PSU
Inland 240GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Phanteks P300 Case

Appreciate any help guys/girls, Thank You.

Solution
A continual sensation of shock is not static electricity.

Static electricity is if you shuffle across a rug, touch some conductor and get shocked just once (without further movement) then end of story.....

However if the shocking continues then current is flowing where it should not be flowing and that is dangerous.

The problem is likely some misconnection or fault within your build. Overall falling into some problem with grounding or earthing.

And that is a problem that needs someone with a multi-meter who knows how to test the electrical circuits and paths serving your computer.

You may or may not have a knowledgeable family member or friend who can do that.

If not, get a qualified electrician who can find the source of the...

Ralston18

Titan
A continual sensation of shock is not static electricity.

Static electricity is if you shuffle across a rug, touch some conductor and get shocked just once (without further movement) then end of story.....

However if the shocking continues then current is flowing where it should not be flowing and that is dangerous.

The problem is likely some misconnection or fault within your build. Overall falling into some problem with grounding or earthing.

And that is a problem that needs someone with a multi-meter who knows how to test the electrical circuits and paths serving your computer.

You may or may not have a knowledgeable family member or friend who can do that.

If not, get a qualified electrician who can find the source of the electricity that is shocking you. Again - that is NOT static electricity!

Solution
...current is flowing where it should not be flowing and that is dangerous.
...some problem with grounding or earthing.
-Exactly.

You won't solve that by replacing PC components. I'm pretty sure there's a problem with electrical wiring in your house. That is, you don't have proper grounding.
Checking for good/bad grounding is quite simple task for an electrician. Solution however, depends... can only be loose ground wire in your wall socket. Or in worst case, your house has no electrical grounding at all -which is dangerous!