Question Static shock help.

Mar 31, 2019
Last night my roomate touched the top of my NZXT h500i case when trying to grab a controller off the top. He conducted a static shock onto the top of my case and shocked the PC. My PC froze and gave me a "it seems there is something wrong" screen and then restarted.
It seems that all of my components are fine. But my fans and lights inside the case that are controlled by the NZXT CAM software are not working. It says in the alerts in the software: "We have detected a change in your fan config. and have reset your ANR profile."
What does this mean and how do I fix this?

(Sorry if this isn't the right area to post this in. First time poster so please redirect me if this isn't the spot. )

Thanks

korv

Notable
Dec 26, 2018
Umm, Weird. I guess it killed the fans and as well strips. Quite powerful one. Could you buy the cheapest fan there is that doesn't use crap ton of power, has a 4 pin connector and connect it to your motherboard? Just in case it's getting power which will confirm your fans and strips are dead.

g-unit1111

Titan
Umm, Weird. I guess it killed the fans and as well strips. Quite powerful one. Could you buy the cheapest fan there is that doesn't use crap ton of power, has a 4 pin connector and connect it to your motherboard? Just in case it's getting power which will confirm your fans and strips are dead.

No that's not going to do anything. You're better off buying a motherboard testing unit such as this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAG827K92713

Buying a fan won't do anything to prove that your motherboard isn't working, but buying a motherboard testing unit such as the one above will.

A single static shock to the outside of your case should not have killed your PC like that. Unless there was some other force that was acting on your PC, but that shouldn't have had any affect on it. At best there was something that might have been installed incorrectly and the static shock was the catalyst that caused your PC to react the way that it did. That would be my theory anyways.