Static shock to the case causes ssd failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

schlogdawg

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016
Alright, so Ive done this multiple times, all on accident and I am looking for a more permanent solution.
I try as often as possible to touch a ground before plugging in usbs and audio devices, if I forget, I will sometimes discharge a static shock onto the case or through the usb socket. In doing this my computer will either shut down or will become unresponsive. Restarting the computer I can get back into Bios but it cannot find the OS on my ssd. To fix this, I shut down the pc, unplug power and remove power to the mobo. I then remove the ssd and plug it into my laptop through a usb sata adapter. I basically let it sit for a couple minutes and it pops right back online. I can then plug it back into my computer and reconnect everything and it starts up no problem. So please tell me if im wrong. But I believe this is a problem because my 3 prong power connector is plugged into a power strip. The power strip is a 2 prong plugged into the wall outlet. Im assuming this is why its shorting the ssd? Is there another way to fix my computer from being shocked? other than picking up a better power strip or a 3 prong extension cable is there anything I can do? I just wanted to verify the the power strip/extension cable will fix the issue before I purchase. Thanks for the help in advance

PennyLane

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016

Finally, something I can help with. I was basically walking static more than once last month, I shocked everyone I touched with an audible pop including my sister and her cat. If it's you or you and the weather instead of your connector and power strip, you can buy an anti-static wristband or little anti-static covers for your fingertips. Also try using (or using more) dryer sheets when you do the laundry. Hope this helps. :)

schlogdawg

Reputable
Feb 11, 2016

Unfortunately my apartment is all carpet and being winter in Colorado sucks every bit of humidity out of the air. I have been using dryer sheets to reduce it a bit, but its not enough. That still requires me having to remember to do something before getting near my computer. Thanks for the suggestions though, Ill add more dryer sheets to the mix haha.

Jun 25, 2020
I made an account just to confess you that i love you lmao i was going crazy trying to figure if my ssd was done for and how to recover the data, then i noticed an slight shock when i touched the corner so i googled it and found your post, followed your steps but the laptop cus i dont have a sata adapter but now it works! i need to replace the power cord tho, but it works! thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.