[SOLVED] Static shock when touching the case?

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
I have an issue. Whenever I touch the back panel of my PC case I get static shocks. So one time I was plugging my headphones into the back of the case and I got some static shock.

PC is on a carpet floor sitting above some cardboard, so I know that might be apart of the problem. But even if I try to ground myself with a metal object, I still get static shock.

Solution
Either you are charged, the case is charged or a combination of both.

The case should never be charged.

"But even if I try to ground myself with a metal object, I still get static shock. "
^^^This indicates the case is charged.

This means it isn't grounded.

This means there is either a problem with the power cord...the outlet...or the PSU.

"But even if I try to ground myself with a metal object, I still get static shock. "

This means there is either a problem with the power cord...the outlet...or the PSU.

Reactions: Krotow
Solution

Windows22

Prominent
Dec 30, 2020

This is a common issue when not done correctly. Regardless, I agree with these findings. Just out of curiosity, are you wearing only socks or do you wear shoes of some kind when you use the pc?