[SOLVED] Status of Laptop Harddrive

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

I have a Aspire E15 - E5 - 575G - 50MF.

The laptop at times becomes incredibly slow and unresponsive. Sometimes I can move the mouse but cant do anything, ctrl + alt + del would not work. Once the entire screen went black but then it came up and all my icons reloaded.

Eventually a message came up along the lines of "Microsoft Windows" has stopped working, and it was basically stuck, so I had to force shutdown the laptop.

Restarted it, loading into windows took a long while but it eventually loaded in all fine. It very slow despite not much happening in task manager.

I ran SFC and DISM, all sweet. Going to try a defrag and virus scan just in case.

Here are images of the harddrives health, I don't really understand what's going on here, could someone help me out if whether these symptoms are the result of a failing hard drive?

Thank you :)

Solution
A good general fix for Windows issues is a clean setup, in your case if you have a standard drive, I would swap it for a solid state drive at the same time so you can use the original to copy files back and for a backup. Hopefully you have a backup disk already though.

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
I can't see any obvious problems with the drive from the s.m.a.r.t. readings.

This may as well be some software installed that mess up with the system, or maybe you run two anti virus programs at once ?

Hey thanks for your response!

I only have 1 antivirus which is kaspersky free version. Maybe I need to format or something, but if your sure hard drive looks good then I can cross that one out :)

A good general fix for Windows issues is a clean setup, in your case if you have a standard drive, I would swap it for a solid state drive at the same time so you can use the original to copy files back and for a backup. Hopefully you have a backup disk already though.

Solution