[SOLVED] Status of Windows 10 in a new hard drive

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
I just recently got a new 500GB Hard disk for my old laptop, due to the older one was severely damaged. Now to my surprise the current hard drive works fine and all, but the windows installed inside it is an old version of Windows 10, which is the Version 1511 (OS Build 10586). I wasn't the one who installed it rather the person on my laptop's service center. I would like to ask several questions about some issues I had while trying to upgrade the windows version, and about its status and etc.

Is the windows version I'm rocking still reliable? its compatibility and the way it functions, is it still useable? I heard that microsoft has shut down support for the said windows version and that it wont be receiving any updates and patches and all. And on the other hand, I heard that older windows 10 versions tend to function better and has better performance than that of newer versions, resulting in better performance in games and apps etc.

Secondly, the updates. From the time I knew I was on an ancient version I checked out windows updates from windows settings, and lots of updates were pending and one of them were an upgrade to Windows version 1903, which was last year's windows version release. I installed the update and rebooted my laptop, only to witness every time doing so it crashes at 30% updating, saying that windows update cannot be installed and then goes to a black screen with a text saying "undoing changes done to your computer." I've tried redoing it multiple times but it had the same result.

Thirdly, the microsoft store. I have had downloaded loads of apps from it before my hdd upgrade and it's served me well till now. But as for now, it said that the apps on microsoft store aren't compatible with my device and I can't download anything, whatever that means.

Questions being asked:

• Should I stay in this version regardless if microsoft has stopped supporting it? Should I stay in this version for the sake of the better performance it provides?
  • Is it true that older versions are better than newer ones?
  • Would there be any compatibility issues within this version? Should I expect any bugs on any app?
  • Why does the 30% issue happen when I try updating?
  • about the Microsoft Store, is it not compatible with my device due to me rocking and old version of windows?

I would like some help with these said issues. If anyone out there knows a thing or two and are willing to help, I appreciate every single bit of your effort.

Solution
Would it erase my hdd memory? the games I installed it in and apps etc after the windows installation? Sorry for my ignorance.

It replaces the windows install but leaves everything else as is. They all should be there after the update.

You can try to download the media creation tool and agree to let it update PC. It might work, I only suggested USB as if it doesn't work, and rolls back the install to 1507 again, you would still need to download it again.

Its an easy process, you shouldn't need support from anyone apart from us :)

Lutfij

Titan
Reliable, no, you need to move to the latest version of Windows 10. In order to do that you will need to recreate your installer for the OS using Windows Media Creation Tools. You won't be able to update to the latest version without either seeing issues in updating or a reliability issue due to having too many updates to go through.

Furthermore you removed an HDD from a system that surely has specs different to your current setup which means that the drivers will need to installed clean.

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
Reliable, no, you need to move to the latest version of Windows 10. In order to do that you will need to recreate your installer for the OS using Windows Media Creation Tools. You won't be able to update to the latest version without either seeing issues in updating or a reliability issue due to having too many updates to go through.

Furthermore you removed an HDD from a system that surely has specs different to your current setup which means that the drivers will need to installed clean.
Is there a way to know which specific component needs a driver update? and I'm sure the service center have done just that for my new HDD.

can you state some flaws of having an older version other than stated on my thread? highly appreciated

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020

Also, is there a reason why when I get back to windows settings update it said that my device is up to date even though it's clearly the 2015 version of windows?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Because win 10 updater has changed since that version. Your best bet is to download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Once you have the USB, put it in your PC and open file explorer
navigate to USB and run setup
click update this PC and it will update you to latest version of win 10

Yes, I know media creation tool offers to update PC but it might not work, so making USB saves you downloading it twice.

Zachary A.

Reputable
Jun 4, 2020
Because win 10 updater has changed since that version. Your best bet is to download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Once you have the USB, put it in your PC and open file explorer
navigate to USB and run setup
click update this PC and it will update you to latest version of win 10

Yes, I know media creation tool offers to update PC but it might not work, so making USB saves you downloading it twice.
thanks for the help. But if possible is there another way of updating your pc that dont require a usb? I'm really unfamiliar with installing through external drives since I never done them myself and calling someone to help would seem unlikely in this pandemic. Would it erase my hdd memory? the games I installed it in and apps etc after the windows installation? Sorry for my ignorance.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Would it erase my hdd memory? the games I installed it in and apps etc after the windows installation? Sorry for my ignorance.

It replaces the windows install but leaves everything else as is. They all should be there after the update.

You can try to download the media creation tool and agree to let it update PC. It might work, I only suggested USB as if it doesn't work, and rolls back the install to 1507 again, you would still need to download it again.

Its an easy process, you shouldn't need support from anyone apart from us :)

Solution