[SOLVED] Stay or upgrade my setup because of my 144hz monitor?

Nov 22, 2019
Hello guys!

A year ago i bought a 144 hz gsync monitor so maybe i can be better in fps games like Rainbow Six Siege (mostly i am playing this game only).
However my old setup seems to perform bad between 100-144 fps. I played a lot with my settings my gpu is around 98% usage and cpu 90-100% and my fps is dropping hard between 90-144 fps. It is not that annoying with my gsync monitor but when my cpu reaches 100% sometimes i can feel that the game is stuttering for some seconds.

I am wondering if i should change the core components and buy a VGA GPU maybe next summer.

My current setup:
i5 6500
Gtx 970
8 gb ram
msi b150m
SuperNova 550 GS 550W

Planning to buy:
B450 Gaming Plus MAX
Ryzen 5 3600
G.Skill Aegis 3200 16gb
Alpenföhn Brocken ECO Advanced

VGA GPU: later (maybe 2070 super)

Do you think i will really benefit from this change now without new VGA GPU?
Or should i wait until i can fully change everything?

Solution
Getting nearly 100% usage on both CPU and GPU is pretty impressive actually. Says that neither upgrade will benefit you, only both.

What happens when you buy high end, only upgrade path is better high end stuff. Which means new and expensive.

You will certainly see some CPU benefits going from 4 threads to 12 in a lot of titles though, so the CPU and memory upgrade should help out some. Should smooth out your frame rate at least, but the limit is then certainly the GPU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Getting nearly 100% usage on both CPU and GPU is pretty impressive actually. Says that neither upgrade will benefit you, only both.

What happens when you buy high end, only upgrade path is better high end stuff. Which means new and expensive.

You will certainly see some CPU benefits going from 4 threads to 12 in a lot of titles though, so the CPU and memory upgrade should help out some. Should smooth out your frame rate at least, but the limit is then certainly the GPU.

Solution