Stay with Intel 2700k or move to AMD Ryzen+

May 2, 2018
Simple question. As a photographer I only use Photoshop CS6 and Topaz Labs filters. The files are large and Topaz is quite slow, depending on type of filter, although PS in the main runs quite quickly. Would I see any distinct benefit in upgrading to Ryzen 2700x ?

Even though Ryzen 2700x performs better I don't think your issue is related to the CPU.
When you CS6 is a max load and slows down open the Task Manager and see the CPU % and RAM usage.

That looks like RAM and a faster disc drive are needed.

I have a less capable Core i5 and CS6 uses less than 60% of CPU but fills 11GB out of 16GB.

Sometimes CS6 might not be using available RAM and it could be set to use less that 60%.
You could change that (Preferences > Performance) by adjusting how much RAM is available to Photoshop.
Restart CS6 to enable changes.

Could you post your system specs

I'll be able to give you a better answer when my RAM arrives, but I'm moving away from my 2700K to a new 2700X.

Currently, the 2700K does everything just fine and I don't see any serious "old age" signs, but I also notice the uplift from moving into the new platform around the 2700X, where NVMe is the most interesting ah heck I'll be exploring with a new SSD (960EVO M2-2280) moving away from a RAID 0 (2x512GB WD Black 7200 RPM) that has served me well since 2010 in my old Phenom II system and currently in my 2700K.

All of this being said, moving to a faster drive (HDD to SSD) or putting more RAM (8GB to, say, 32GB) will probably be a better route for you instead of a full blown platform upgrade, since I have to say the 2700K is no slouch to this day.

Cheers!

May 2, 2018

Intel i7 2700k @ 4.5Ghz, 24Gb RAM, fast 500MbSSD for applications,4Tb RAID over 2 drives; Photoshop is set to 75%, CPU often maxes out all threads on Topaz Labs filters and Photoshop, never seen memory run out though!

May 2, 2018

Thanks for your input. I've updated with specs to post from jojesa

Ok, I have some answers for you:

In a single line, the upgrade is well worth it, with a few caveats. If you're planning on changing to Ryzen, don't go cheap on the MoBo, RAM and cooling solution. I've noticed that XFR works incredibly well with a good supporting setup and is really noticeable.

Check this link where I have the initial scores and a 1:1 comparison with the 2700K: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1INkI1PPb_PZxdBI-DhzkCp_5xSqGtIjy

So far, I'm happy with the build and I can see the uplift in performance from the i7 2700K. Does it show in desktop or just browsing? No, not really. I can't even tell the difference from going into the NVMe drive from the RAID0, but the startup time is nearly zero. It takes longer to POST than get into Windows now, haha.

Cheers!

urbancamper

Distinguished
Not sure why your even asking this question. If you can afford it do a complete upgrade. The 2700k was fine in it's day, and still ok for some older game titles.

The 2700x will give you better productivity, and much faster rendering. I know you have not mentioned gaming. It is however an all around much better cpu. As well is the memory, and of course todays ssds, or M2 drives.

This is a no brainer, just upgrade.

May 2, 2018

I don't game on the PC, it's purely a workstation. Since much of Topaz and PS relies upon clock cycles amongst other things, I was asking 'if' there would be a much difference in production times per image over what I already have.

ganron

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2012

Photoshop CC 2018 CPU Performance: AMD Ryzen 2 vs Intel 8th Gen
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Photoshop-CC-2018-CPU-Performance-AMD-Ryzen-2-vs-Intel-8th-Gen-1136/