Stay with my Nec Multisync 75 or go LCD ?

DetConan

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
My 17inch Nec Multisync 75 seems to my eye a very good monitor. Good colors, good picture quality, etc. But i find it a little small. I would like a larger monitor, but I do not know if I should go the LCD's way...

I play a lot of game and my wife likes to surf on the net, play with Printmaster, etc. So, good quality, text clarity, good colors are a must. How does a monitor like the Viewsonic VX922 or the Samsung 931C compare to a Nec Multisync 75 ? Will i just gain in size and loose on all the other fronts ?

Another question : as my computer is usually not very high end (amd 3200+, 7600gt with a videocard upgrade planned next year) I was looking more on the 19inch monitor side. Would a 20inch one, with a higher native resolution would be a bad choice in my budget limited system ?

Thanks for your insights...

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
i can just offer my experience moving from crts to lcds on xmas 06 (before then, i had never had the chance to compare them side by side, so i didnt think there was much difference before, TBH)...

lcd color reproduction still isnt quite as good as a professional grade crt, nor the viewing radius... but 'everything' else ive found is a major step up (clearer text [at native res], much brighter, no refresh rate; so less eye strain, instead you have response times now, automatic geometry resizing, no 'image interlacing', less desktop space taken; so less weight too, narrower bezels; if you want to use more than one, less heat generation; so cost less to run 24/7, larger screen size, 19" lcd = ~21" crt), screen doesnt 'fade and die' as it ages [the way it is when you buy it, is the way itll stay]... there is the possibility of shot pixels, and bleeding and stuff (if you end up with any of that, you can probably just exchange it)

for top color quality though, if its something you absolutely cant do without, you might be better off going with simply a larger professional crt (a 21", 23" or 24" even)... most other things will still be subpar compared to an lcd though, IMO