Steal This Keyboard: Input Club’s K-Type Is On Massdrop

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would think the "perfect" keyboard would be a color other than white, to avoid discoloration. I would also want a numpad, and maybe some additional controls, like a volume dial. And a wrist-rest. This keyboard's design seems a bit bare-bones, and its $200 price makes it one of the most expensive tenkeyless mechanical keyboards around.

It does look nice though, I suppose.

Other than your issue with white I disagree. I have a TKL WASD v2 on purpose for all those reasons you don't like this and I just love my WASD v2. The second usb port for Ergodox may be interesting to add 10-key, volume etc as an add-on will have to see on that part. Just to say some people will like this keyboard and if they make a black version I may think about it.

I first thought it was intended to be like one of those Das Keyboards with the blank keycaps. : D I suppose it might be difficult to photograph a white, backlit keyboard on a white background though. The backlit characters are probably more visible in-person, where you don't have bright fill-lighting shining on everything. For the record, giving it blank, semi-translucent keycaps would be kind of cool though.

You don't think it looks nice? : D

My point was more that the design is far from what I would consider "the most perfect keyboard ever". I know there's a market for tenkeyless keyboards, but I can't help but think that their recent upswing in popularity mostly came about as a way for keyboard manufacturers to offer keyboards with mechanical switches at a reduced cost, rather than as a "feature". Certainly, many people don't have much "need" for a numpad, and some might be used to working with smaller laptops that lack the feature, but I can't say I see much benefit to lopping it off on a desktop keyboard, unless you're on a really small desk. Not only is a numpad useful for entering numbers, but the keys can also be assigned as shortcuts to common tasks in many programs.

I would expect a $200 keyboard to have some additional functionality, let alone the same level of functionality as a standard PC keyboard from the early 90s. I like seeing peripherals evolve with additional features, not stripping away everything but the most basic functions. Now, this keyboard does have a few extras. There's the extra USB port, though that's limited to a type-C connector, so you won't be able to connect most devices without an adapter. The switches are also removable, although that's actually a feature also found on some off-brand mechanical keyboards that sell for under $50. It is something that might be nice to see on more keyboards though. And the open software might also be nice to have. I can't say that I see these small features justifying the price premium though. I suppose you're paying mostly for how the keyboard looks, more than anything.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
"Single block chassis"...
Shows a split diagram where the top and bottom is separated by an LED thing... :D
Anyhoo. This design would have looked great on a PC from a few years ago. Not so sure it's going to sell well in today's market. I haven't seen any "industrial" plain aluminium PC's in a long while.

mattcrow

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014
How is this better than let's say Logitech G910?
I don't understand people buying this kind of stuff.
Every now and again I get an email from Massdrop, and there are always keyboards available to buy, of the same design, just different colours.
They are not ergonomic, have to extra features, look just plain and awful, and come on! 200$?! WTF.

bloodroses

Distinguished
This is a very 'Mac-like' keyboard: 10 keyless, no extra frills, white. This keyboard is designed more for that mindset of beauty over functionality. I know quite a few that'd eat this up. It's the same people that prefer Bose or Monster over Sennheiser or Grado.

Personally I'd rather spend money like that on a Ducky or DAS keyboard where functionality is more important.

tachi1247

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Most of the people commenting thus far have likely never built a custom keyboard. $200 actually is pretty cheap for a full aluminum case and custom PCB that allows for full programability. Custom keyboards like this typically go for $300+. Not to mention that there will be a forthcoming API so that eventually this may function like a Das 5Q.

Also, the keyboard isn't white. It's silver anodized aluminum with white keycaps. Those caps are likely to be discarded immediately by most buyers. People who are interested in things like this will almost certainly have their own set of custom caps to put on this thing.

The crux of the issue for some is the same as for attempting to build one's own: Too expensive. I can get a TKL keyboard for < $100 USD with, most of the time, my fav. key switch mfr. When the key switches cost $1.00 or $1.50 a pop and keycaps can be somewhat expensive, especially for plain ol' ABS plastics (which will yellow with time)... not to mention the framework. Hard to justify this as it isn't all that different from off the shelf units sold by Corsair, CM, Rosewill, etc.

It's really expensive, but it seems sometimes it's the only option if you need a replacement for a retro keyboard. For the PC we have now? To each their own, especially with a key placement layout that is standard, regardless of ANSI, ISO, or as it has been called "bigass" enter keys present. I'd personally love a shot at it, but not at the premiums that currently exist.

Yeah commercial keyboards that offer these features may cost $300+, and building your own can cost $400+. Yeah, you may be able to redefine every key so you can use more "exotic" key layouts such as Dvorak or QWERTZ, AZERTY, JCUKEN, etc... but most will indeed stick to QWERTY. For what it is,

[EDIT:] I guess it isn't a bad price for what it is... but prices will need to get lower for me to consider this.

Also, for those who want to play around with keyboard layouts, custom or standard, Here is a useful link to check out: www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/

[EDIT:] Here is a link for someone who built their own TKL keyboard in Australia: http://gizmodo.com/i-built-a-keyboard-from-scratch-1649325860

Casey_21

Prominent
May 26, 2017
it allows full access to firmware and you can actually code it to do what you want layer tap dance etc. you can also program the lights when it ships you can play snake using the lights on it and arrow keys. Granted if your not really into tech or hacking your stuff this isn't the keyboard for you but it is definitely cheap for the feature it offers granted most people commenting on hear wouldn't know how to use or have a need to anyways.

TFBundy

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Originally I was just going to call you a bunch of peasants complaining that a Porsche hasn't got as much room for shopping bags as their Toyota Corolla... but, let's be a bit more constructive and put this keyboard in a perspective that you may relate to more:.

Most of the comments sound like somebody complaining that a) "I'm not paying extra 600$ for a video card, my CPU has one built in, what a rip off!!!" b) "No VGA plug, no sale!" c) "A full sized video card in 2017? I don't know, most designs are AIO or laptops!"

This is a keyboard that competes with the likes of:

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/

https://shop.norbauer.com/ - just an aluminum body, sold out in couple days for ~300$

https://is.gd/IICYdY - these are the kind of prices you can expect to pay for a decent bespoke board, the K-type is trying to offer those kind of features for much less. Prices are high because runs are small and usually oversubscribed.

http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/ -bespoke south korean boards

This is before most buyers put on a decent set of keycaps that will run you ~200$

So... the K is a really good deal, for people into decent keyboard, it's like a Ryzen 1800X for 1600 price. It's not the top tier of keyboards, but it's decent. Personally, I wouldn't touch anything with a cherry switch in it, capacitive buckling springs or Topre are my kinks; but for cherry fans - it's a great deal - put some Gatistotles or Zealios in it and it's pretty darn good; amazing for the price.

If you want to start a deep dive into the world of bespoke boards (and using a car metaphor...)

https://geekhack.org/index.php (- the pimped out WRX and German luxury car crowd)

https://deskthority.net/ (- MkII, E-type Jags and 70s Mercedes SL crowd. Keyboards with backlights are for chavs and if you need to see it in the dark you need to learn to touch type better.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/ (- posters of exotic cars on the wall, doing up mum's old PT Cruiser in the gge. Good place to start; dad's with nice cars to hold your hand)

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/ (-autotrader people kicking tyres and trading pink slips)

TL:DR, if you are happy with your crusty, mass produced, cherry brown board - all good, but complaining about the cost is same as complaining about top grade CPUs and GPUs; the top end is always pricey, and if you don't know why - you probably don't need it - YET...

Marius_15

Commendable
Jun 23, 2016
Tenkeyless is just the perfect size. Any less than that I cannot do my work. More than that and it makes gaming troublesome.

As much as I would love extra cool features like media keys and a volume knob, I've had issues with other keyboards in the past with features like this... mostly due to drivers and software.

Since this one is fully reprogrammable on bios, I can repurpose some keys for media play/pause and volume controls. (F11/F12 Print/Lock/Pause)

The white is an issue for me as well, but works for the look of this keyboard I guess. Personally I don't really like shine-through keycaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.