Stealth Fighter II

G

I received the 3D Studio Max, Bryce, Adobe Premiere and MSFT Office Premiere for Christmas. I am looking into purchasing a new PC to run these apps. Will someone please tell me if these components will handle the job. I am looking into purchasing from PCNut. Please feel free to recommend another system or components that will meet my needs.

ASUS CUSL2-C i815EP Retail; 4xAGP, UDMA100 support
PIII 700mhz cCO FCPGA cpu w/GW FOP32-1 overclocked to 1ghz (pretested)
1 Mushkin 128mb PC133 Rev. 3 HP SDRAM (maybe 2?)
Leadtek Winfast3D GeForce2 GTS 32mb DDR
DeskStar 75GXP 45gb 7200rpm UDMA 66+ (ATA-100) HDD
Creative 52x CD-ROM
SB live
Antec KS282 Midtower 300watt ATX with 2 fans

Thank-you for your help

G

Hi,

Spec looks pretty hardcore, tho I'd go for more RAM. It seems to be cheap at the moment, so no excuse for having at least 256mb, if not 512 (CAS2 always prefered). I'm not overly familar with Bryce and 'Studio, but I bet they like plenty of RAM.

Any particular reason you don't fancy an AMD? Money saved could go on other bits e.g. more RAM, etc. I prefer AMD at the moment for price-perf reasons, but maybe you have your own reasons for choosing Intel.

Maybe you don't need it, but I always like to have 2 HDs (at least :smile: ) to spread the IO around a bit (windows on one, swap & apps on another). If you're editing large files or your apps do a lot of disk IO, 2 drives using RAID may be an option you want to look at. The HD thing's not essential, but summat to think about.

You might consider getting a CD-RW too (er unless you've already got one, you didn't say), for backups (etc). You can get an 8x cheap enough these days. I'd recommend a BURN-Proof model such as Plextor's 12/10/32A - it's great! No more wasted CDs (and wasted time).

HTH

<font color=blue>Moots</font color=blue>

G

thanks for the quick response.

PCNut is offering a nice AMD which I am also considering. It's more expensive. Maybe more than I need.

ABIT KT7-RAID KT133 (retail). Possibly, KT7A-raid and KT133A.

AMD Tbird 1ghz
256 mushkin HP Rev. 3 CAS2
Two Deskstars 45gs in RAID 0 Configuration
and everything else is same as I listed above
Plextor is an option at $230. more

My only concern with AMD is frying. Excuse my PC lingo, I'm just learning. It has a Vantec FCE-6254D Socket A HSF. I'm wondering if this would be enough to cool.