Question Steam breaks internet connection

Jul 8, 2019
When i'm trying to download a game in steam (and it takes about 20 Gb) my internet connection just stops after some time or about 60-80% done. But after 1 hour and 20 minutes it comes back just fine. I've tried to set limits to downloading speed in steam, the max requests in-steam browser but it doesnt help. I'm using netgear nighthawn x10 and some sort of zyxel. Btw internet is not awaliable on each device that is connected to the router(ethernet or wireless). But logging into web interface of both modem and router says that everything is ok and wtf that means!!?? How should i fix that?

Ralston18

Titan
Target device for the steam download is a wired connection - correct?

Take a look in the router's logs (if available and enabled). There may be some log entries that correspond with the stoppages and restarts.

Likewise look in Reliability History on the target device (Windows 10?) The History may be capturing some issue or problem. For example, some buggy app may be launching in the background while the steam download is ongoing. Or it could just be some routine app: a backup, an AV scan, an update grabbing and holding system resources.

And do update your post to include the make, model, and version numbers for the modem and router.

Do you have the respective User Manuals/Guides?

How many devices (wired and wireless) are on your network? Could be an IP address conflict.

Key is to narrow down the stopping/starting to some specific circumstances.