Steam Controller May Not Arrive Until Late Fall 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddybody

Distinguished
Big valve supporter, but the steam controller is pretty useless. Most PC gamers don't want a controller, and of those who do (no doubt, certain titles are best with a controller, like Starcraft)...the 360/windows controller is superb.

PS: StarCraft reference was a joke...damn folks :/

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
LoL Steveymoo, I am very excited for this controller. This looks like one of the best controllers made. I am a mouse and keyboard man but sometimes I do wish for the simplicity of a controller. Most of my gaming friends are console gamers and have no interest in playing on my computer. Unless they can use the xbox controller I have for the Arkham games and some controller centric titles.

I also am a living room gamer and somehow using mouse + keyboard in the living room seems especially geeky. Though an xbox or a controller is perfectly acceptable.

Before the "this is no mouse+keyboard replacement" talk engages... This is not meant to be a mouse+keyboard replacement at all.

This is their way to tell games about playing at their couch with very close functionality as a mouse+keyboard without any hassles.

Remember the SteamBox is aimed to compete with Consoles, and that means the Living room, not your regular computers. So, you can all start comparing it to the XBox controller or the PS controllers, but not a mouse+keyboard.

Cheers!

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
We already gave a perfectly good controller made by the same people as your operating system, called the. Xbox 360 controller. Until game publishers like Blizzard add controller support this is going nowhere fast. Steam machines ran out of steam about a month after CES

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Ugh, buttons for the directional pad just like the Playstation controllers. This will suck big time for fighting games. :( Not saying the 360 controller is any better though. Makes me really miss the SNES pad and the Genesis 6 button pad.

npcomplete

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2012
Ugh, buttons for the directional pad just like the Playstation controllers. This will suck big time for fighting games. :( Not saying the 360 controller is any better though. Makes me really miss the SNES pad and the Genesis 6 button pad.

That's what I was also wondering about. The focus all seems to be kb+ms replacement. But this is also supposed to replace console controllers. Have they, or anyone at all, tested this with fighters?

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I hope more controller based games start coming out for the pc, I love mouse keyboard games but, sometimes I just want to play some controller games. You know Like sonic...

Status
Not open for further replies.