Question Steam Crashes my computer.

Nov 17, 2019
Hello, for the past 2 days I've had my computer crash constantly whenever i open or log in to the steam client. It worked for a little while but eventually caused my computer to crash randomly. I've never experienced this before and this computer is about 2 months old. For 2 months steam has never caused my computer to crash until now. I've tried anything I've managed to find on the internet including refreshing steam files, updating my drivers and pulling user data out of the steam directory. Nothing has worked.

I've also asked steam support but they haven't responded to it for the last 48 hours.

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Steam client? To add, can you state which version of the BIOS your motherboard is on? Include the version for your OS.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Steam client is a simple application that would not cause any problem. Unless somehow the application got corrupted.

Uninstall and reinstall Steam, the problem should be resolved, if not you should have other problems with other applications running in that computer. It cannot be just Steam problem.

Nov 17, 2019
Mind sharing the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Steam client? To add, can you state which version of the BIOS your motherboard is on? Include the version for your OS.
Intel® Core™ i5-9400F CPU
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti GPU,6 GB
8 GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB M.2 PCIe SSD
I have an SSD but I can't remember which one it is
i have 8gb ddr4 memory
Chassis is n50-600
500W
i have no clue what OS is

and to update: my girlfriend just played on my computer and said that it crashed, she was playing dead space 3. I don't know if she pressed on anything, or if it crashed however. It most likely crashed.

edit: it says "corrupt save data" on my save files
the weird thing is that 3 days ago, before steam started crashing my computer, i played dead space 3 with my friend for almost 4 hours with no issues

Last edited:

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Load CrystalDiskInfo and run. I am suspecting that something is wrong with your SSD.

If my suspects are right you will need a replacement.

Nov 17, 2019
Load CrystalDiskInfo and run. I am suspecting that something is wrong with your SSD.

alright, thank you

Nov 17, 2019

it says its fine

Nov 17, 2019
Update: I did a scan of my computer of corrupt files, and it said that it fixed most of them but not all. Some remain. Exactly how can I find an online repair for these corrupt files?

WildCard999

Titan
Unless your using a cheat engine those save files should be fine. Even games like Skyrim that allow for quite a few mods don't typically get corrupted but can get slightly altered if your using current mods and they get deleted and you continue to play on that save file.

TRENDING THREADS