News Steam Deck Goes on Sale for the First Time

UWguy

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
I canceled my preorder when I realized it would get little use over my desktop. Not surprised it’s on sale, hard to believe it didn’t happen sooner.

eldakka1

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
I canceled my preorder when I realized it would get little use over my desktop. Not surprised it’s on sale, hard to believe it didn’t happen sooner.
Steam Deck still isn't available in most of the world. If it was having poor sales - which I take as the implication of your comment - then I'd imagine opening up more regions would be better for sales than a tiny discount in the limited markets Valve currently sells it in.

Reactions: prtskg

MiniITXEconomy

Prominent
Dec 9, 2022
Very cool! Also, I don't get folks who think their lone experience is somehow universal in the PC community. So, okay, you couldn't figure out how to use it - either it's not "hand-heldy" enough, or you just couldn't make time for it, that's... a you problem. Not really applicable to the rest of the gaming community.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I'm pretty sure most users complaints against Steam desk are because they can't figure out "it's not Windows"... Yeah, tough luck installing MS Office on it, but if you go past that it's a nimble little machine when docked.
It also shows how bloated Windows has gotten when you see how well games run on it - equivalent hardware under Windows would crawl to a stop in games.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'll bet they regretted having AMD build a custom APU for it, when Ryzen 6000 launched a couple months earlier with better CPU cores and RDNA 2 iGPU, but made on a better process node (i.e. TSMC N6). They probably could've gotten AMD to sell them a variant with 4 Zen3+ cores and the full 680M iGPU enabled.

Much love to Valve for all their Linux & Mesa contributions to help make Linux/AMD a viable gaming platform.

Last edited: