[SOLVED] Steam Disk Write Error (Failed to Preallocate)

fehrik

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
Just built a new PC with all new parts apart from the PSU and the 2 SSDs, when putting them in to the new PC I installed Windows 10 on one of them and formatted the other.
When i downloaded Steam and tried to install Grand Theft Auto V, Tekken 7 and Hitman 2 they came up with Disk Write Error, i can still install some other games but on a few games it still comes up.

I have tried:
Deleting the empy GTA5 folder
Changing the owner of the steam folder to Administrators
Deleting download cache
Changing download region
Repairing the folder
Starting Steam run as administrator
Turning off firewall and Windows Defender
Reinstalling steam

When i check the content log it says Failed to preallocate (Disk write failure) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\389730\TekkenGame\Content\Paks\pakchunk0-WindowsNoEditor.pak"

I have also deleted the file that it described but still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated

Solution
The three games you mentioned require a very large amount of space to install (60GB). While installing there is likely some decompression and other "work" that the installer might need even more space for.

Do you have that much free space on the drive you are trying to install on?

Dom_79

Distinguished
The three games you mentioned require a very large amount of space to install (60GB). While installing there is likely some decompression and other "work" that the installer might need even more space for.

Do you have that much free space on the drive you are trying to install on?

Solution

fehrik

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015

There is definitely for those games as i have formatted both SSDs and installed windows 10 on one, that one has 708gb free and the other SSD has all 465gb free space.

Thanks for your reply

Dom_79

Distinguished
You mentioned you changed access privileges of the Steam folder to Admin. Are you/ is your user profile the admin of the system? That would maybe hold you back from write permissions (and give a disk write error- but should really be a permission error)

Also, What AV and firewall are you using? Windows Defender? If so you may have to find a way to escalate privilege for Steam through the AV/Firewall program itself (not just file explorer)

fehrik

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015

Users have full control over the Steam folder and i have tried turning off Windows Defender and the Firewall but still no luck. Even if it is on i have added Steam to allow through the firewall. I have tried to install a on an external hard drive and it took a long time but it worked so it must be a problem with the SSDs