Steam download Spikes then Falls flat

bigtrev85

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
I wasn't sure where to put this thread so if I should move it let me know. Here is the problem.
My dsl connection seems to not be working right with Steam. I'm trying to download a game and my connection which is a dsl 1.5mb, will spike at 200kbs then fall flat to 0kbs then back up. It keeps doing this and it's driving me crazy. I've tried tweaks. I've tried speed test and ping test. I've tried DSLreports tests with everything coming back ok. I've tried different and less busy Steam servers. I've tried changing DNS servers. I've tried turning off both of my firewalls. I've tried turning off my AV protection. I've ran deep scans for any kind of virus and found absolutely nothing. I've literally tried EVERYTHING. WTF is going on?

Solution
It's entirely possible that Steam is rationing access, and therefore there are periods of unresponsiveness, esp. if other sites are behaving normally. It's like being at a popular restaurant on a Friday night. If it gets busy enough, you'll have problems from time to time getting the maitre d’s attention. He simply can service everyone as efficiently as the crowd grows.
It's entirely possible that Steam is rationing access, and therefore there are periods of unresponsiveness, esp. if other sites are behaving normally. It's like being at a popular restaurant on a Friday night. If it gets busy enough, you'll have problems from time to time getting the maitre d’s attention. He simply can service everyone as efficiently as the crowd grows.

Solution

bigtrev85

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010

That totally makes sense. I've never had this happen before with Steam. But after I ran all the test I could think of, I had to assume it was the software side. Thanks for the prompt answer.

bigtrev85

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2010
It's just strange to me. I'm still convined it's something with the DSL. I used to have the a 12M connection to Comcast and NEVER had a problem. Going back to DSL hurts lol.