Question Steam.exe End Task: Access Denied error.

Mar 11, 2023
Hello!
Hoping someone can help me with this bothersome problem I'm having currently.
Some background information, I'm a programmer and I'm super tech savy and I feel like I've done as much as I could think of when it comes to troubleshooting etc.

I have been having an issue where my Steam will not close itself properly and thus it will prevent it from being restarted.
In my Task Manager it'll show the Steam process and when I click End Task it'll say "Access Denied".

I did install MalwareBytes the day before these issues arose, MalwareBytes was giving some issues when trying to connect Steam and it started blocking some IP's or something of the sort.
So what I did was uninstall MalwareBytes but to no avail.
What else I've tried includes:
  • I tried to close out the Steam.exe process with Process Hacker 2 - Access Denied.
  • I tried to close out the Steam.exe process through Process Explorer from Sysinternals.
  • I tried to close out the Steam.exe process using taskkill also with forcing it using -f
  • I tried to put it on Compatibility Mode Windows 8.1, to no avail.
  • Reinstalled Steam after a restart while keeping my Steamapps and userdata folders.
  • Reinstalled it manually after that didn't work out using Steam's own guide.
  • Reinstalled Steam on a different location (namely my C:\ after hearing some users resolved issues with UAC that way).
All of these have not worked out for me, the only thing that occassionally may work is shutting down the Steam web helpers, but that as wel is a chance and more often than not after restarting twice it does not actually work.
Another type of behavior that I've noticed is that the RAM will stay around the same MB, so for now it has changed 0.3MB in the time writing this (from 61.3MB to 61.0MB).

Everything else also happens within Safe mode by the way, so I'm fairly certain there's nothing interferring with it.

Does anyone have any idea or experience with this?
I would love to try everything out, this is really starting to bother me.
I often start programming and as a break I'll try and play some games but sometimes need to relog my Steam to another account, you can imagine that I don't want to close all my tabs and progress I've had in my Command Prompts for my projects by doing a complete restart.

Would love to hear back! :)

Mar 11, 2023
try disabling virtualisation in bios
I was very hopeful as I had made that specific change using BlueStacks on Windows 11, unfortunately that didn't work :(
EDIT: I let it sit for a couple of minutes and it started working again without me actually doing any ending of processes.. I'm going to try this again tomorrow, I'll let you know if it worked or not! :D

Last edited: