Steam Extends Holiday Games Sale

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree that the sales this year weren't that great. 2011's sale was great since it had AAA titles like Skyrim going 50% off when they were only a month released. This years didn't really have that same edge, the only recent AAA titles are Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2 and Assassins Creed 3. Far Cry 3 only went on sale once for 33%, same with AC3. Borderlands 2 has gone 50% off a few times, but anyway who was interested probably already bought it.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
While I use Steam, and like some aspects of it, I am worried about the fact they seem as they are quickly moving into monopoly territory and that will never be good for the consumer. So any news of others making headway is welcome.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]While I use Steam, and like some aspects of it, I am worried about the fact they seem as they are quickly moving into monopoly territory and that will never be good for the consumer. So any news of others making headway is welcome.[/citation]start partial boycotting them @ EA/Ubisoft titles, since there isnt any advantage of having steam version of games from these 2 publishers

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
The problem with the Steam sales is that after three years of these massive sales, most pc gamers bought up the games already. Everything most people buy now are just things they probably didnt think to buy like torchlite and , for me, Bastion. I still think i got a hell of a deal, especially when I compare prices to gamestop. As for the Amazon sale, I avoided it because their UI is a pain to navigate to the sales AND it has doesnt really have a platform as such, like purchases from other platforms, I have to go install like 4 clients to get the best deals. Since I run an ssd as my primary I dont want to waste space just open a client to play my games. I dont care for DRM but if it makes things simpler IM all for it, which is why I dont mind Steam.

Of course should it turn to the dark side they wont get my money anymore. I think thats true of everyone and that is something Valve is aware of

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]sirencall[/nom]The problem with the Steam sales is that after three years of these massive sales, most pc gamers bought up the games already. Everything most people buy now are just things they probably didnt think to buy like torchlite and , for me, Bastion. I still think i got a hell of a deal, especially when I compare prices to gamestop. As for the Amazon sale, I avoided it because their UI is a pain to navigate to the sales AND it has doesnt really have a platform as such, like purchases from other platforms, I have to go install like 4 clients to get the best deals. Since I run an ssd as my primary I dont want to waste space just open a client to play my games. I dont care for DRM but if it makes things simpler IM all for it, which is why I dont mind Steam. Of course should it turn to the dark side they wont get my money anymore. I think thats true of everyone and that is something Valve is aware of[/citation]

90% of Amazon's digital downloads install through Steam. Congratulations, if you read this you have learned something that virtually everyone already knows.

randomizer

Champion
I only bought one game, for less than $10 too. I have too many things I haven't played and most of the games that were on sale would need to have been $2.50 for me to be mildly interested. They will all be on sale again later anyway.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I liked the deals that were available, but I didnt like the total mess up that the prices were. not that the prices were wrong, just that one minute the daily deal says 25% off, the I come back an hour later and it says 50% off. To The Moon was in a 48 hour flash sale, but when I checked the next day, the game was not in flash deals anymore. this happened with a few games I noticed. Total messup somewhere at valve. but still liked the prices I got some games at.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Orlean[/nom]Max Payne 3 for $15 bucks was a steal and it's a good game too. Got Batman:AC what seems to be a good game, to bad I can't enjoy it just keeps crashing. Witcher 2 and Sleeping dogs are games I was able to get on sale too haven't played them yet though. I was hoping to see a AC3 and FC3 cheaper but no big deal I can always for another sale.[/citation]

sleeping dogs and most of its dlc 91% off eairlyer today, i managed to get the game and dlc for less than 9$

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Most of the games were on sale before, or part of humble bundle.

Also, Steam is its own worst enemy for training customers to wait. Knowing that there will be a flash sale on titles, why would you buy them at regular or normal sale price? I know I would be super pissed if I bought a game and it would have had a deeper discount if it appeared later in a flash sale.

Basically,
If I really want a game, I will have bought it at release for $50.
If I am semi-interested in it(but not for release price) I now expect it for $7.50 or less.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I dont buy the games unless I am pretty sure i got the time to play it. why pay extra early when u dont have time to play at all? Only buy it when u want to play it

so b4 u buy any games despite it is cheap, check ur backlog first.

tbh I am have a slight regret to buy skyrim @ 19 bucks, simply because THQ shove all those insane deal down my throat right after I bought skyrim, suddenly I got 8-9 AAA titles from THQ to play which is likely to last me till next sale for skyrim to go cheaper.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Steam by far to me is the easiest to use, the one ahead of the curve. So all these other sales even Origin did not make me feel the need to leave steam over whatever price they were at. Steam by far took the most from me this season. Around $200 which is about 4 times more then usual for me around this time. I had to pick up on all the 4 way co-op games.. I finally have TL2 and my god this game is amazing, gave it to 3 other friends and i am sure they will enjoy it more then DB3. Dead island another great one wooo, got 4 copies of that... I spent quite a bit.. By far steam is the easiest to use.. Go steam! =D I'm happy n thats what matters.

Draconian

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Sleeping Dogs for $17 seemed like a good deal, so I bought it. Also got Batman: AA and Batman: AC for $5 each.

I was disappointed that there weren't larger discounts on Assassin's Creed III and Far Cry 3. They both went on sale with only a 25% discount. Meh.

Even obscure games like Farming Simulator 2013 had very modest price reductions of 25%. If Saints Row: The Third can be had for $7, what business does Farming Simulator have charging $20? If Grand Theft Auto 4 can be had for $7, what business does Farming Simulator have charging $20? And that's the sale price.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Draconian[/nom]Sleeping Dogs for $17 seemed like a good deal, so I bought it. Also got Batman: AA and Batman: AC for $5 each.I was disappointed that there weren't larger discounts on Assassin's Creed III and Far Cry 3. They both went on sale with only a 25% discount. Meh.Even obscure games like Farming Simulator 2013 had very modest price reductions of 25%. If Saints Row: The Third can be had for $7, what business does Farming Simulator have charging $20? If Grand Theft Auto 4 can be had for $7, what business does Farming Simulator have charging $20? And that's the sale price.[/citation]

gta4 sole over 15 million units and could now be given away for free as advertisement for future games and not hut either developer or publisher.

that said, with gta4 you could argue the content in that game is wroth 50$ but the engine you have to pay someone to play, so it evens out at about 7.50

This year I was pretty disappointed with the selection. I only bought 2 games from Steam and one from Origin. Last year I bought close to a dozen titles on Steam. I wonder if a lot has to do with Origin as I had Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 last year for 4.99 on Steam and this year it was $19.99 on Origin for Mass Effect 3. I didn't want to spend that on the game, but felt I had no choice as I wanted to play it sometime relatively soon and it was 50% off. Origin just doesn't have the deals that Steam does and I just don't like the client as much. As I have an SSD, the backup option in Steam has a lot of value to me to be able to save my game off to a larger HDD and then restore if I want to play again. Origin you have to uninstall and re download it. Unless you do some quirky workaround.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Most of the games were on sale before, or part of humble bundle.Also, Steam is its own worst enemy for training customers to wait. Knowing that there will be a flash sale on titles, why would you buy them at regular or normal sale price? I know I would be super pissed if I bought a game and it would have had a deeper discount if it appeared later in a flash sale.Basically,If I really want a game, I will have bought it at release for $50. If I am semi-interested in it(but not for release price) I now expect it for $7.50 or less.[/citation]
While I sort of agree with you, I'm still not sure it's a bad idea. If they hadn't done all those flash sales I'd probably still only have team fortress 2 (the game that got me to use steam) and bloodbowl. I think if it wasn't for the simplicity of steam, and with the properly affordable prices, I'd still get my games the way I did in the 90s which doesn't generate any revenue at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.